If Tinnitus Goes Away... Do I Have to Worry About It Returning?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Question.. If my tinnitus does go away after my pregnancy (assuming then it was pregnancy induced) do I have to worry about it returning for the rest of my life? Would I consider this episode a "warning"? Do I have to continue wearing earplugs for noisy conversations, resturants, vacuuming, movies or any loud noise? Do I have to obsess over every medication I put into my body for any ototoxic qualities? Or does it depend on the cause of the tinnitus? Just curious if anyone knew anything about it.

Regardless, I can see myself being cautious with my hearing/ears for the rest of my life after this experience, even it it does resolve.. If I am lucky enough to have silence again I can tell you I woud appreciate that and life in general in a whole new way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Natalie,
      I think of it the other way round.
      Should your tinnitus go due to pregnancy you know just how bad tinnitus can get.
      Unlike many people who put their hearing in danger everyday and not heard of tinnitus, you will be wise and know how keep your ears safe ...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Every possible thing that can give you T, make it louder or aggravate it, should be avoided imo.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is true. I have had brief, fleeting periods of ringing in my ears periodically in my life prior to this starting but it never lasted more then a few minutes. I always thought to myself "wow, glad that went away! What would I do if it stayed?" and now here I am, 9 weeks later with lasting T. I never even knew such a thing could happen and I'm learning a lot of people have no idea it can be permenant either.. It's crazy..

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Your strength and zest for life has got you through and I'm sure your posts will be read by other mums during pregnancy and know tinnitus can be caused by hormones during pregnancy...
      You will be a busy mummy when your little one is here but great see you on here when you can giving support to other expectant mums.....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Natalie I had bouts of T after noisy events over my life, before I knew they were a warning. I'm 54 now and consider I got T proper in 2012 but I now remember I also got long term T in 1989 after my 2nd child. I must have been so busy went it went I never noticed, but it stayed gone for over 20 years. Oddly I never gave it a thought or worry in all those years. I feel I we have got T due to factors other than noise there is nothing we can do to prevent it again, so why worry. In those 20 years I lived a good crazy fun family life and I'm so glad I did now.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Yes, indeed.

Within reason, yes. I wouldn't worry about it. Get a decibel meter app for your phone. If the volume of your environment goes beyond a certain level, put in the earplugs. Even handheld hair dryers exceed safe limits.

No, but you should stay informed of the ototoxic nature of the medications you are most likely to take, especially if you're going to take them long-term. You don't want to develop an anxiety disorder based on this experience.

There you have it. That's a positive, healthy approach. :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

How long was your tinnitus around when you got it after your second child? I really hope my tinnitus goes away. I feel so depressed when I think about dealing with this for the rest of my life as I am only 31 with soon to be three small kids. I try to just take it day by day though..

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you! As always your replies are informative, to the point and supportive. I appreciate your input!

10. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      You're welcome! We do a lot of pay it forward on this forum. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You don't have to worry. But of course it could come back.

• Like Like x 1
    12. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Sorry but I honestly cannot remember. I had a very stressful pregnancy that time, spending 2 months in hospital and finally have a C section under GA. I know it lasted for months as I remember seeing the GP, getting ear drops and contacting the tinnitus association helpline here in the UK, but after that it is a blur. I know I did not have reactive T or any H so that probably helped me to not notice it when I was busy with the kids. I had forgotten i ever had it until in 2012 I got it again, but this time it may have been noise induced.
      Actually back then in 1989 we did not have the internet so I could not read any horror stories. I knew nothing and had no preconceptions that it may never go as I was unaware of that fact, which probably helped a great deal, because in 2012 when I hit the internet I was devastated to learn it may never go.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe your first experience with it was infact pregnancy related like what I'm going through. The thought that it went away for you regardless is hopeful for me! I have heard many people say that pregnancy can cause tinnitus or hearing issues and usually resolves so I really hope that is the case in my situation although I know I shouldn't hold onto that idea though because if it doesn't I imagine I will suffer from depression all over again and start over. This has been a hard 9 weeks but I feel I have made some improvement in how I handle my situation. I agree with you that no internet could possibly be better because the first thing I read was it may never go away and immediately started me on a downward spiral.. Maybe better not to know and just assume it will go away. I don't know.. I know I should probably stay off this website more but I have a hard time when I need support since no one really understands but you guys..