If You Are Upset About Tinnitus at Night, Would You Care to Do This Cheap Experiment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Will you do this experiment?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2016.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, because I have already done it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, because I don't want to do it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, because I already do something similar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, because of other reasons

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  6. I will try to at least sometime in the next week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, for some people they can get very upset at tinnitus at night and I was wondering if several people could try this experiment and come back and report the results. The experiment is to take 1.5 mg of melatonin (sublingual) tomorrow night at exactly 9 p.m. your time or 9 p.m. tonight if you can.

Basically, I need to know how you feel an hour later whether good or bad. There should be some noticeable effect but if not, please say so in the comments as well.

If this benefits you I would not recommend to do it every night. Melatonin can be bought at Walmart for around $4.00. It can also be purchased at many drug stores in the supplement section.

2. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      I take 3 mg and it makes me pass right out.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Does it make you feel more calm about T? Does it increase or decrease your T or does nothing?

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I'm fairly calm at night, it's the days that I find extremely hard to make it through. At night I don't have to do anything but lay there so I don't find that stressful, even with raging T. I mean it bothers me a lot and is annoying as hell but I find it nice to not have to function around T like I have to in the day. In the day I also have to deal with exterior sounds that really hurt me, make my T explode, and I don't know, the days are long as hell when you suffer.

I take melatonin once in a while but find it kicks in while I'm asleep, I can maybe sleep longer and am groggy by the Am. It definitely doesn't help me fall asleep faster and does nothing for my T.

5. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Does nothing to my T. I can take literally any drug and nothing happens. I feel alot of people fear it more than they should. I'm more worried about my airbag in my car than drugs.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't know how you do it man. Do you take anything for depression?

7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I drink and eat a lot. I have no choice but to do it though man. I don't like my life anymore but yeah, what you gonna do. I have no choice here, not brave enough to take the final exist, so I suffer. I'm hoping things can improve some day over time. I hope my H improves an then at least I can walk around without feeling like I'm getting drilled in the head at every little noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Have you thought about asking a doctor about Lamictal? It helped me out quite a bit with depression. It isn't perfect but it seems like it helps me more than hurts and when it is working it seems to take my T down some. I think I am still having withdrawal problems of Klonopin. I had an episode recently and took some Klonopin and got really depressed. Today I only took a quarter of it in the morning (depressed) but felt better in the afternoon. That drug can be hell to come off. Honestly though, if I did not have T I could have gotten off klonopin years ago.

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't know man, I tried Effexor and it just made me feel like shit, did nothing for the suffering. I also found it extremely tough to come off of, wouldn't want to do that again. Made my T and H worse going through withdrawal. I don't think I want to be hooked on any hard core drugs ever again. If I do anything, it's a bit of pot. Also, I'm not really depressed, I just don't like the noise and the pain in my ears/head, makes life shity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Lamictal is not an SNRI. Effexor screwed me up big time so I know how you felt. Lamictal so far is the best med I have ever taken for depression. You can check out the reviews on drugs.com. They make a generic of it. People have to titrate slowly on it and beware of a rash breaking out. You might want to look into it if things get really bad. Hopefully, you won't though.

11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Melatonin used to have some calming effect in the morning, after taking 3mg at night.
      I believe it is a beneficial drug for tinnitus, however long term usage would pretty much mess up the natural way it is produced by our organism and f*ck up our circadian rhythm (or circle or whatever).

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I agree and that is why I definitely think it should not be taken every day. I'm not sure how often it should be taken. My thought is that you might take it for a few nights (or one?) then stop. Then after some time (not sure how long) you can take it again for a few nights (or one?). (maybe? - not a scientist here so if anyone knows please comment)

13. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Hi Telis.

Just about everyone on here knows what you are going thru and how hard it is to cope with. I am now pretty much completely deaf in both ears, other than being able to hear loud bangs etc in my right ear only. I have been prescribed many different drugs over the past 3 years both for anxiety as well as depression. Some of the anxiety meds have helped at times but all in all, not very well and is by no means a solution to my problems. My Tinnitus is as loud as you can imagine and add that to not being able to hear anything or anyone is a total bummer. Totally ruined my old life and am now struggling day to day just to exist. Have no full time employment now and at 53 years old with no hearing, it may be near impossible to be employed full time again and get off the disability pension I get, which is barely enough to feed me let alone try to pay any rent. I attended many support groups, looked into any and all avenues of help locally, but all in all, I suffer daily with no end. I still refuse to give up and also refuse to be on medications that I feel are worthless. I have pretty much become a hermit and stay indoors most of the time and away from others. Just too hard to try to communicate with people. Anyone who has anything to say to me must be written down.

On the positive side, being completely deaf has allowed me to apply for and possibly receive a Cochlear Implant. This Implant should restore some speech in one ear but may take another 2 years before I get the surgery. Just a long waiting list to have it done. I live in cramped living conditions with a relative and need to get out of here to give her the space back she used to have. Just cannot afford to move. Also can't pass the credit checks a landlord does on you to qualify for a rental unit. So I do my best to just disappear here as much as possible while I wait to find out if I can get this implant done for some hearing again. I have never told anyone this but if I do not qualify for the surgery, I have researched the best ways to just "check out" and be done with it. So I know how you feel there. What keeps me going day to day is watching others in my community who struggle just to exist. People in wheelchairs that cannot drive, have to have others help with basic needs like bathing etc. Makes my issues at least feel somewhat less problematic and know life could actually be worse.... and IS for some. So hang in there my friend and keep looking for anything you can for help and improvements to your situation. You are not alone in what you are going thru.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1