If You Had a Million Bucks...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UserID, Aug 29, 2014.

1. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      If you suddenly came into a wad of money, a huge bankroll, say, over 100 million dollars (pounds), how would you spend it? Would you be altruistic, philanthropic, (giving), or conceal it from others?

I'll start this discussion by saying, for everyone, that we would, all of us, most likely donate to tinnitus research, or some other medical research institute, but what, beyond the medical needs of this world, like ebola, cancer, parkinsons, alzheimers, dementia, and fibromyalgia research, would you place your money?

I love animals, so I know I would help them, perhaps open my own team of vets with the warmest compassionate care.

Having never been an extravagant person, I would likely stay as I am in spirit. God knows. I am a tight wad in many ways or I would never have gotten to where I can retire in three months -- if I choose to go. My brother keeps insisting I stay at work to make the workload easier, add moral support, and to do as I do now, the toughest paperwork, in order to get him over the battle of paying off his house. I'd give him enough to pay off his house

Some of the top-of-the-line guitars of the world I would purchase for gigging, and I would stay booked at the best places while focusing on lessons from some of the best melodic, scale saturated, bass teachers. Writing books would be my principle focus, however.
      David

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Well to be honest, first I'd help my mom pay off all our expenses and fix all the broken things in our house. Then I'd put some aside for the rest of my college education. Then some aside for my mom's retirement. Then I'd donate to animal outreach programs and women's shelters and tinnitus research. Then there is a friend of mine who is in a tough spot right now and deserves a lot better than she is getting. She is one of the most genuine and selfless people in the world and I would donate the rest to her so she can have the life she deserves to have.

• Like Like x 3
    3. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Honest answer.
      20% for breast cancer research
      20% for heart related issues
      20% for the T
      20% spend on starting a school/college/university (it is possible in india..)
      20% for myself
      100% of above all are for selfish reasons..

• Like Like x 2
    4. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Travel. A lot.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Good thread User
      1st look after the unselfish members of my family.
      2nd T research
      3rd Cancer research
      4th Heart conditions
      5thWater Aid so kids would have clean drinking water in country's where disease is spread by water contamination
      6th. Innoculations and food for these children.No child should go hungry today.
      7th. Look after as many desperate neglected animals I could give to.
      It would take more than a Million ,with what I could use money for,but this is my small contribution list,I could add more believe me.list would be endlessssssssssss.
      Again good thread,took me away from listening to you know what.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      In my opinion you first have to help yourself and your close ones and then the others. Therefore Id probably save the majority in the bank (if I have purchased the things I really need), donate some to charity and spend some on travelling. Most likely I would donate to the carers of handicapped and the starving children here in Estonia (around 13000 children which is about 1% of the population).

• Like Like x 2
    7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      *I would give at least 30% to charities that helped children around the world. I’ve sponsored three children for years through Childfund International. I would want to sponsor many more.
      *I would pay off the mortgage balances on my children’s and ex-wife’s homes and in addition give them a nice lump sum of cash.
      * I would treat the members of TT Forum to a 10 day vacation in Tahiti. We would enjoy the beauty and serenity of the place together. Many of us would bond more closely and establish lasting friendships. Cookouts on the beach under the stars at night with the sounds of the surf and laughter from the good-natured conversations we would share with each other.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=beautiful+images+of+tahiti&qpvt=beautiful+images+of+Tahiti&FORM=IGRE

• Like Like x 4
    8. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Thanks for the vacation. . :p

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      1.) Look after my Mom and Dad and Grandma as they are the most important thing in the world for me, they wouldn't need to work a second longer in their entire life.
      2.) Don't care for art nor any other type of thing I'd never spend more than 500$ on a painting especially not some bullshit white line on a blue canvas I MEAN WTF PEOPLE REALLY I PAINTED THAT WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD xD.
      3.) I'd move to some place nice, but with a considerable amount of noise so at so mask my T.
      4.) I'd probably find a really really good Tinnitus research facility and donate like 10 million or more, or I would gather the finest doctors (neuro and audio and such) and pay them all to work as hard as possible on finding a Tinnitus cure or treatments or whatever.
      5.) Open a free Tinnitus clinic where people would get to speak with the best Tinnitus doctors in the world for free and get all the tests and treatments, not just get the bullshit of "You'll just have to live with it" nothing worse than a doctor who can't do his frigin' job.
      6.) Invest, I'd get some people to advise me in safe profitable companies to invest in, not talking hundreds of millions just a steady cash flow.
      7.) Finish college, get my masters in English as I love the language and probably teach even though I have money I wouldn't want to live just partying or whatever.
      8.) Get me a gaming room filled with top of the line stuff PC's with the best parts, PS4, a big-ass TV.
      9.) Guitar leasons.
      10.) Charity
      11.) Set aside some for my kids when they grow up.
      But, rest assured I would give the 100 000 000 in a heart beat if it would guarantee a cure for me and everyone else who suffer from Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    10. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What you'd spend 100 million on shouldn't differ from what you're spending money on now.
      The only difference is that spending x percent of 100 million on something will yield more results than spending x percent of whatever money your have now.

With 100 million, I'd get to the root of most of the world's problems and try to change the capitalist/political system, which should lead to a more equal distribution of wealth and food (worldwide), more funding for medical research, affordable health care, less war, equalization of opportunity etc. etc.
      It would be like 'trying to fix the hole in the sinking ship', instead of a one-time only removal of a lot of water.

Most problems don't come from a lack of money, but from a lack of (assumed) responsibility and global awareness. There are 780 million people without access to clean water right now. Millions of people are dying while cheap cures are available. The number of land/water resources that the developed countries use is off the charts, while there are famines elsewhere. Global warming, while having fallen slightly out of fashion, is still looming.

We have the knowledge that these situations exist. We have developed the ethics that say that we should do something about it. Ask anyone in the street whether we should and the answer is always 'yes'. We have the technology to make it possible. We have the necessary resources. And yet, nothing happens. We've hardly made a dent in cleaning up this global mess.

That would be what I'd try to change. And yes, I do know that I'm not alone in this, thankfully :)
      How exactly, that's difficult to say... but large scale acknowledgement of the problem is a huge start.

Personally, I'd be fine if all non-suffering-reducing technological research would be suspended for a couple of decades. I don't need a faster laptop, bigger tv, more luxurious car, better amplifiers, a robot on Mars or whatever. I get what's nice about these things, but they're not important. I'd much rather see more people given the chance to lead meaningful lives.

(And oh... I once saw a video of thousands of people going berserk about a new smart watch. That's just decadence turned up to nauseating levels, right? Or is it me?)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Great a post, wtw. Thanks for the enjoyable read.

12. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      If you suddenly came into a wad of money, a huge bankroll, say, over 100 million dollars (pounds), how would you spend it? Would you be altruistic, philanthropic, (giving), or conceal it from others?

I would give half to the RSPCA and Lost Dogs Home. I would give 25% to my daughter. I would give a few million to Meniere's.org and the MS Foundation and I would move and live on the coast somewhere. Maybe a small beachfront property with a yard for my dogs and a hammock. That's it because I couldn't give a stuff about material possessions.

You may have noted I didn't give anything for Tinnitus research or advocacy and that's because I don't believe a universal cure for tinnitus will ever be found and at this point habituation is the only option and almost everybody habituates.

13. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      First, I'd put several million away to cover the legal fees to defend against all the crazies that crawl out from under their rocks to try and scam the cash away.
      Second, I would purchase a house and set up an annuity for my daughter. (Any thing left would eventually go to her any way. She is an only)
      Third, I would provide a retirement annuity for my sister that would give her a steady monthly income.
      Fourth, I would try to spend a good chunk on my Lovely Bride of 41 Years and me.

• Like Like x 1
    14. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Caribbean, private island, bye bye society ☺

• Like Like x 1
    15. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      I'd give it all away...just to piss off my wife. Just sayin...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Then give it to me hey Larry ,promise I won't tell your Mrs ,thanks in advance .,I'll send you my address.
      You blokes I don't know ? Your probably win it now to .Got the Telis eye on you now .Ha, Ha,

17. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      It's yours Marlene but The point IS to tell the mrs!

18. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      Funny, since I have developed severe T I have actually started playing the lottery. I figure I am due for some good luck after developing T.

19. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I can do that Larry for you ,I don't do the lottery here ,haven't got the patience for it ,husband does it ,I remember I only went to BINGO once with the mother in law ,back in 70's in Streatham London never been since my what a bore that was Larry .The docs doing lottery ,yea think we all could do with some luck rubbing of on us T sufferers ,husband has T 30 yrs ,it's long overdue I'd say .Id be happy if we were all better ,and sitting under a palm tree ,wouldn't that be great all of us fixed.

20. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      Marlene, I HATE palm trees (But they sure did create a whole bunch of overtime when I was in the hooks.)

21. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      First thing I'd buy is a new set of ears!

22. Shambles

Shambles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2012
      Give it to the kurds to fight Isis mostly. These people are a threat to civilization.

23. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I would start a huge research center, that employs over 1000 scientists to find a cure for hearing loss and tinnitus. It would be a central facility that combines all the research being done around the world and better coordinate the effort to find a cure for hearing loss.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'd give Autifony 100 million to finally cure tinnitus and not keep any of the money for myself. I want to cure tinnitus so the world can be a better place.

25. massatab

massatab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1999
      1% for myself.
      99% deposit to bank and create "my name" Charity fund. All profit from that money monthly will be used for the whole world donation purpose.

26. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      If I was given 100 million dollars. Hmm.

002731-08-exterior-pool.jpg

I would buy this hotel in Thailand, convert it to a one man palace, fill it up with the most sexy Asian girls. Fuck all my life until my dick doesn't work anymore. Then I would give away whats left to charity, convert to Christianity, ask for forgiveness, and go to heaven.

27. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      why fuck all the girls? dont you prefer true love?

28. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I love girls to much. I have to catch them all. :rolleyes:

No, but seriously, it was a joke.

29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since: