If You Had The Choice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NiNyu, Mar 15, 2015.

?

If you had the choice to live..

1. 10 years without T (+H) then RIP

2. 30 years with my current condition (with the likelihood of T getting much worse..)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      If you had the choice to live 10 years free of T (+H) or 30 years with your current condition what would you pick?

Feel free to elaborate why you chose what you chose.

2. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      30 years easy, like what kind of question is that haha? Basically you're asking, would you rather die or live a life where you'll probably eventually stop giving a shit about it. Life, choose life absolutely!

But then again I'm in my 20's so I would choose that, if I was 65 or 70 I'd probably choose the other :L

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I definitely relate to these type of questions and don't find them strange at all.

I can see where there's a tipping point where one would choose 10 years over 30 years... but for myself, I try to focus on the choices that I do have, rather than hypothetical ones. And that gives me more than enough headaches already.
      Sorry if that's a bit of a 'bummer'-answer.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why "with the liklihood of T getting much worse"? That's stupid; it's relatively unlikely and poisons the poll.

Strike that clause and I'll take my chances and vote 2.... My chances, along with the chance if the Autifonys of the world figuring something real out.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I just want to stick around, you never know something may be created for us that can cure us all in 30 years which would mean our golden years (years after 65 will be pleasant) I'm just really optimistic I suppose. I want to live, I want to stick around for my family. This ailment is motivating me motivating me in ways that nothing ever has, sadly, and it sucks that this had to happen to me to finally open my eyes, before I was just existing.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    6. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Neither because the great thing is in some 10-20 years there will be treatments and possibly cures.
      So yeah I'll take my mild tinnitus and wait it all out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Fiore , you should have met me before T I would have turned your just existing up side down without all the noise and pain! Your life would have been a rollercoaster of adventures and fun.

@linearb , you are overoptimistic. But then again, you are bold.

@AlecP we talking here quality over quantity, I'd say.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I don't want to appear nasty or insensitive because I am neither of these things, but what is the point of your thread? People know how they feel about their tinnitus situation why do they care to share such information. Again this does not help anybody. Why not ask a more positive question that encourages people to share more relevant and useful information? I do wish you the best!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Miss lavender , is living without T not positive, albeit 10 years instead of 30? Or what about being immortal (current condition no change)? Would that be better?

Okay what does help everybody here?

10. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I simply don't see the point of your thread. Tell me again how this helps us as a tinnitus community?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Miss lavender , I see what you are trying here. Honestly, if you dislike my thread why not ignore it?
      That being said, not every thread has to help everybody; which doesn't mean we can't philosophy about our current condition. For instance, medications some do mitigate your ailment but might damage your body in the long run. So essentially it shortens your lifespan. Would you still take the meds?

12. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      @NiNyu, I am not trying anything at all I simply made a comment about your thread. The majority of us on this board believe it to be a support forum so indeed I believe that the aim of our threads is to help and encourage each other. We are all suffering to some degree so to add a negative vibe to the forum defeats the purpose of why this forum exists. Perhaps you should privately message certain individuals with whom you would like to discuss certain feelings, this may be better for all involved.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I agree, if you don't like a thread, don't look at at then. This is a open forum, if people want to discuss certain things then they should feel free to do so.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I don't see anything offensive in this thread.

If you want positivity then you definetly should not visit tinnitus forums.
      Peoples experience of tinnitus is different from your own so please spare a thought for someone who may not have mild "need to search for it" tinnitus like you do.
      Or for someone who is going through a lot more on top of tinnitus!

So instead of giving stupid answers pendin on a cure (didn't even cross my mind that I could live longer if there's a cure:dohanimation:) read the question and answer properly or if you think it's stupid and negative just don't budd in at all.

PS for me it's quality rather than quantity! In everything....:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand you mean no harm. I will only give you something to consider. I'm not talking about specific persons here, although it may apply.

Some of us have these dark emotions in us. Being able to express them and discuss them with others can be a form of relieve in itself, even if it does not solve any problems directly or cheers anyone up.

Approaching these people with an attitude of 'your doom and gloom is not welcome here' means you're rejecting who these people are and what they're genuinely feeling. Having these feelings is already tough, but then having to deal with a society that goes "you just need to cheer up, man up, deal with it, get over it, just smile, don't bring me down, it could always be worse... you're not thinking about doing anything stupid, are you?" is not helpful, to say the least.
      If fact, it's a way to make someone withdraw and feel isolated.

I suggest that when someone opens up, puts themselve in a vulnerable position and says that they're dealing with dark feelings, just accept them. Accept that it is happening, that they don't have to hide themselves, or feel bad about feeling bad. These people are not trying to bring 'a negative vibe' to the table, but seek someone to connect with.
      "Whatever you feel, it's okay. You can always discuss anything. We're all in this together." That, to me, would be the ultimate positive vibe.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Yes, interesting, what about all this, we sell our souls to devil for free tinitus? and then go to hell and get it back

17. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      @walkthroughwalls I know you mean no harm in your response and thank you all,the same. But I think you have totally misunderstood the meaning behind my posts. Perhaps I am not very good at explaining myself and sometimes written form can be misunderstood so I would just like to say that I mean no disrespect to anybody on this forum. Perhaps next time I shall keep my opinions to myself. So sorry if I have offended anybody here, I think this forum is the best thing that has happened to tinnitus.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No... oh please! You have not offended anyone, I think. Certainly not me! And also, it could very well be that I have not understood you! If I did not, I apologize!

And please do share your opinions! They're as valid as anyone else's! And it's much better to talk about things and grow together :)

• Like Like x 1
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1999 linearb: "Ahh! Visual artifacts! Tinnitus! Panic! GIVE ME THE DRUGS, MAN!"

2012 linearb: "Ahh! Side effects! Dependency! Withdrawals! GIVE ME BACK MY VISUAL ARTIFACTS AND TINNITUS, MAN!"

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1