If Your Tinnitus Fades Away, Don't Get Too Complacent

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emperor-Drax, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Thread title speaks for itself, but allow me to elaborate.

Almost seven weeks ago, I had an acoustic trauma for the first time, which shook my right ear like nothing else before. Reverberating metal might not be loud-loud, but it shakes your ear canal like an earthquake. But it wasn't exactly gunshot bad, so the effects are finally wearing off.

The result? Been almost tinnitus-free for a week, so I consider myself getting off with a warning. And that warning I shall heed forever, or at least on red alert for a while from now on.

And if you also should be so lucky, I give my sincerest warning to maintain caution because despite a faded tinnitus (or even an easing hyperacusis), it may still be vulnerable to relapse or reinjury for a while. I can't put a timeframe on that, some other more experienced members here will be better at that. But don't let your guard down, just keep doing what you've been doing to keep the 'eeeee' volume down.

Best of luck to all!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      So true. Time and time again we read stories of someone who worsened their tinnitus by exposing themselves to loud noise again. It's vital to maintain awareness of the dangers. This doesnt mean living in a state of anxiety and fear from every potential sound. We just need to remember what is truly important and then act on it when necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1