I'm Going Crazy — Did Headphones Cause My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by miodragdimic, Jul 19, 2019.

1. miodragdimic
      Scared

miodragdimic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      First I want to greet everybody since I'm a new member of this site.
      I'm going to explain everything from the start so you could understand better and thanks for reading.

My tinnitus started at the start of this year, first week. I think the cause is because I used headphones too much. First couple of months were really exhausting, but fast forward till a 2 months before now I habituated to sound. While on my journey with tinnitus I experienced earaches a lot but I never knew why would I get them. I thought that TMJ was causing my tinnitus so the joints are causing the problem but I don't think that's true since the doc said it's ok. I never had a problem going to cinema or loud places but there were some noises that were irritating to me like sirens on fireman cars, buses, dropping gym weights in gym. When I heard those sounds I just wanted to cover my ears but I didn't get the pain in the ears when I heard a loud noise.
      I kept on using headphones since they weren't making my tinnitus worse and I listening on understandable volume BUT a lot of times that I used headphones I would get pain in the ears, I didn't know why.

And now a week ago I went on a little one day trip, I put earphones in my ears, travelled 2 hours and I listened to music like 10 minutes, on low volume of course, but I experienced pain in the ears. Then after 10 hours I went home, again put earphones for like 10 mins AND AGAIN pain in the ears, which I experienced before but before nothing happened. I came home, put headphones on to talk with friend and play games. After that when I went to sleep my ears were different.

The sound of tinnitus changed, and I had fullness in my ears (WHICH IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM), the fullness is not some strong or severe, more like mild but its still irritating because it makes me remember that I have tinnitus even at loud places. Now I have fullness, my tinnitus has changed and now I feel like at the start of the year with the new tinnitus again, and I need to habituate again or something. I know one thing, I went to the cinema while I had this, and I couldn't stand the loud scenes this time, like before I could. Is it possible that I damaged my ear or caused a bigger problem so I'm experiencing this now, nothing of this is severe, it's more of like a mild stuff but they are causing the problem.

Will the fullness in my ears ever go, will and can my ears heal back to before like this, does change in tinnitus have to do something with this and can you habituate to this if it doesn't change?

Thanks for reading and sorry for grammar mistakes and the long post.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Every time you were feeling pain or ear fullness or discomfort, it was likely a sign from your body that what you were doing was not ok. If you begin hitting a wall with a hammer, it takes some time before you get to see the things on the other side of the wall. Consider taking those signs seriously. Stop using headphones, do what you can to avoid loud noises (so no more movie theaters, and anything else that doesn't feel right to you). If loud noises are hard to avoid, at least wear hearing proteciton around that noise.

Hopefully, eventually (about 1.5-2 years from now) you will heal and will become more resilient allowing you to expose yourself to more noises (as those noises will stop feeling too loud to you, and will stop resulting in pain). But it is probably a good idea to never use headphones or go to a movie theater again. Many people who took avoiding noise seriously have experienced their tinnitus fading.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/

Also, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

and

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      miodragdimic
      Scared

miodragdimic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the reply, I wish I knew this a long ago, now I see that I have been hurting my ears more and I shouldn't even be surprised. I will try to stay away from loud noises as much as I can, I guess the best healer is time, thanks again :D

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hopefully you haven't done much damage, but it would appear that your actions certainly haven't promoted healing.

Another thing to keep in mind is to not overdo it. Stay away from the noises that don't feel right to you, but don't protect from All noises all of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      You need to give your ears time to heal (by this I mean months at the very least) by constantly exposing yourself to noise or headphones you have been delaying the healing process, if not potentially worsen the condition of your inner ear, considering your symptoms, I can say with utmost certainty that your tinnitus is noise induced, protect your ears and the perceived tinnitus level may decrease if not fade away, depending on how much damage you have done and the extent of it, I won't lie to you though, given how you have been mistreating your ears, this, should it happen, will likely take years.

You have not listened to your body's own warnings and now you are suffering the consequences; take this as a lesson and make sure to treat your ears better, they have sustained damage, some of which is likely irreversible, which means that even if your tinnitus gets better or entirely fades, you are more likely to sustain further hearing damage than the average person, and will likely be for the rest of your days, this means you will need to keep protecting your ears and remain mindful that you are more susceptible to get damage from loud noises. I am not saying to avoid all noises, but loud environments are no longer for you.

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      My audiologist told me it’s ok to listen to ear phones for short times at low volume to give you some relief so if you used them for a short time it’s probably a coincidence that your tinnitus went up.

Lots of tinnitus sufferers use them to give themselves a break so I guess we’d know by now if they were that dangerous.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You describe over exposure to headphones causing noise induced pain, tinnitus, and hyperacusis and ear fullness.

See a doctor and tell them that. They have to know it's noise related.

Why are you in denial of the obvious? You were injured by noise. A lot of people tell comforting lies to themself that it's not noise related, but those are the ones that get worse.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The T, ear fullness, and ear pain, are all classic symptoms of an acoustic trauma. If this happened from the headphones, so be it, and don't use them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You should also check out the treatments threads. Lenire is the pretty much the first thing ever and it's rolling out now. Good success rate from their trials too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      miodragdimic
      Scared

miodragdimic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's really hard to accept that you are permanently damaged for a such a BS thing. I didn't want to accept it because I was scared and because I didn't have any hearing loss.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      https://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss

Hearing loss outside of vital human speech range is not tested on standard hearing test, one can experience muffled hearing in noisy environments and trouble recognizing music and be told that they have "perfect hearing".

I am one of those people. It took literally 4 ENT's for me to finally be diagnosed with 'hidden hearing loss. Overtime my HHL improved decently. But I do not expect my hearing to ever be as sharp as it was post acoustic injury.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You may have hidden hearing loss.

13. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Did you clearly experience hearing problems in noisy environments? Or how did they test that?

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes I do, they don't test it. That's the controversy. Most ENT's don't care about science they just stick with outdated protocol.

15. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      That's only true several months after the onset/trauma, before then you are in the acute phase your ears are more susceptible to damages and need as less stress as possible to promote their healing, this means that the use of headphones and being exposed to loud noises up to 6 months after trauma is very detrimental to a possible recovery and should be avoided.

• Agree Agree x 1