I'm Jenny

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jenny Tenacity, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jenny Tenacity
      Depressed

Jenny Tenacity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/22/2015
      Hi, I'm Jenny. My tinnitus started five days ago. I know I shouldn't complain because so many of you have suffered for years. I am 50 and have teenagers. My sound is a high pitch hum/buzz that is on the loud side. Seems to be mostly on the right side. I haven't been to a rock concert in 16 years and can't figure out why this came about. I'm not on many meds. Take ambien about 3 times a weeks to sleep. I can't concentrate, am depressed for my future, am having panic attacks and can't sleep. Got a whopping two hours last night. Even with a fan and pink noise I could still hear it and couldn't sleep from the anxiety. I know the first year is important if there is to be any hope in getting this to go away. Any advice on what to do, who to see, what tests to get done, treatments, anything? What works? Is there anybody on here who had tinnitus and recovered? That's what is so depressing...it seems like a life sentence for a very large majority of people. Any statistics about what percentage clears up and what don't? I would appreciate any advice to help me get rid of this or deal with the first year. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Well steroids are helpful if taken within first 3 days.
      You are eligible for am.101 trials. Research it. See an ENT.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome Jenny. Yes, there are many people who had tinnitus and recovered. By that I don't just mean they don't have T any more. There are people whose T disappear (particularly for those with new T), but there are many more people who habituate to their T, which means they may not be aware of their T most of the time. How is this possible? Well when you get to the point that T is no longer considered a threat, then the brain has the ability to fade T out of consciousness when you are busy with things or fully focussed on other interesting stuffs. How is that possible to ignore a loud sounds? Well just think of those flights we take with loud plane noise. When we are deep into watching a movies or reading a book, we may not be aware of the all encompassing loud jet noise around us. It is because that noise, though loud, is not considered a threat. Just imagine if the pilot suddenly announces that the plane needs to turn back because of some issue with the engine, you bet every one on board will be fully aware of that jet noise until the plane is safely landed. So the trick is to get our brain to get to this state of not treating T as a threat. Many people have found their way to not treating T as a threat. I recommend reading the success stories over and over again to learn the insights from the posters how they manage to get to such frame of mind, that T is no longer a threat or an issue in their lives. Yes many get better here, and millions get better over time without ever needing to visit support boards. Have hope that you will too. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 1