I'm Over 4 Years In and I'm Still Here...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I just finished 18 weekly chemo treatments. I was diagnosed with OC in July--had been sick since April but it took forever to get diagnosed. They used all kinds of imaging and genetic/mutation testing and told me it's stage 4 as it had spread. Let me get to how this relates to my tinnitus. I had to take anti cancer drugs for 18 weeks and IV antibiotics for three procedures. Can I tell you how afraid I was? I had habituated my tinnitus to the point where I didn't care about it and I was unaware of it for hours at a time. I was terrified that these drugs would make it louder--and they did. Now I don't know if it is the drugs that turned it up or the anxiety about dying and the treatments, or a combination of the two. I have managed to habituate again to the point where I am not reacting to it but I am aware of it now, most of the time. Anyway, I'm hoping that now that the treatments are over, it may drop back to baseline. If not, well, I didn't have a choice. The 18 weekly chemo regimen is very aggressive but I have had good results, gained weight back, my cancer antigen is way down (meaning the chemo killed a lot of the cancer) and I managed to work part time during about 14 weeks. I have kept a very positive attitude most of the time--I have my down days but keeping busy helps. My head is a terrible place to be in so I'm distracting myself. :)

I hope you are all doing well and please ladies, talk about OC with your gyn. There is no screening test that is reliable and by the time symptoms appear, it's usually advanced.

xoxo, Kathi

• Hug Hug x 12
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm really sorry you had to go through this, but glad to hear the drugs seem to have done their job, and super glad you're still here with us! I hope your T goes back to baseline and/or you habituate completely again. <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thanks for the support and the hug @linearb ! I'm happy to see you're here too! I appreciate things more now, but I guess that's normal. :)

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thank you for sharing this with us. OC is a terrible disease, your strength and courage is inspiring.

Wishing you lots of good health and quiet tinnitus!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Kathi
      Congratulations on showing great progress towards winning your battle with ovarian cancer.
      You are one tough lady to keep working through your treatment and fight a scary diagnosis, and tinnitus worsening on top of that.
      I hope your tinnitus goes back down and send you best wishes for continued good health.
      Sam xoxo

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Kathi,
      So happy to here the treatment is working and you sound a really positive strong person.
      It is ashame the treatment as caused your tinnitus to get louder and im sure with the stress that came with it.
      The support is here around the clock with lots of lovely members.
      Love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Tinker Bell , @Samantha R and @glynis --thank you very much for your support and kind words. It really boosts my morale and helps me to keep going. My doc told me that he can't cure me but he can control it like a chronic disease--which means more chemo in the future. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it or maybe there will be a miracle and they got it all this time. :) Either way, I'm lucky to be alive. It helps with my perspective. Love to you all.
      Kathi

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Kathi

You've always been one of the ladies on the forum that I like and respect a lot! Also, one of the coolest because you rode your own bike... (y)

I'm sorry that life has dealt you such a difficult hand. However, I'm encouraged that your doctor has told you that he can keep it under control. The long-term survival rate for cancer is much better today than it was years ago. My ex-wife had cervical cancer. Since her chemo treatments, She's doing very well and is still cancer-free after eight years.

I truly admire the dignity and grace with which you are handling this very difficult trial!

Warmest Regards,
      Jim.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Wow, I saw that you sent me a hug and I was thinking about the Favorite Song thread! We all had some fun there and got to know each other a bit. I was thinking about posting a shout out to you on the off topics forum and here you are! Thank you for your kind words. I didn't post about it all sooner as there didn't seem to be much hope then but now there is--my doc said that I've had a really good result. I'll know more after the scans/tests but I feel good and that goes a long way. My doc told me not to be a 'numbers' person, meaning the 5 year survival rates, etc., because as you said, it's much better now. At my age, if I get another 10-15 years through chemo management then I'll have no complaints. I do have a great selection of wigs! I even bought a red one. :)

Now that I'm feeling better we are planning to go to Sturgis again this year. I'll post a pic later of my '68 shovelhead redone.

Thanks again for the kind words and it's really good to see you. Safe ride!

• Friendly Friendly x 1