Imagining Silence with Meditation

Discussion in 'Support' started by bwspot, May 6, 2015.

1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Have anyone had any success with meditation to get into so called state of silence?
      I started to practice meditating but tinnitus is always with me and does not shut off while I meditate. I believe that with meditation one could completely shut it off and enjoy the silence again.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting idea; I've actually taken the opposite approach, if my tinnitus is distracting then I just make that the object of my meditation, instead of my breath.

edit: I don't have much experience with conceptual meditation in general, though, other than basic loving kindness oriented practice. What is your meditative practice like?

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been able to enter a state of trance a few times since I got T. But I've never experienced the T-symptoms in themselves to go away. I plan to look into how meditation can be best performed with T, and what results it can wield. I think a practioner may have to be versatile when it comes to techniques applied, and perhaps may have to change their understanding of what meditation actually is. Being a meditator has always been about re-inventing the wheel anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I am a complete newbie. I started with calm.com and I am trying learn the magic of meditation. I believe that letting it go might calm the tinnitus.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had similar thoughts when I had less experience. I'd say I'm still a newbie but I've been sitting with some regularity for a couple years now, and on and off for many more.

It's not magic. It's simple. But, it's not easy, and just like anything else, what you get out of it will largely depend on what you put into it. It hasn't cured my tinnitus by any means, but, I've been functional and not on any meds for quite a while now; before I ever had T, I was messed up on all kinds of bullshit psych meds and other drugs. Meditation has been a significant factor in the path I walked to get away from all that crap, and it's the best tool I know of to stay in touch with myself and my happiness despite tinnitus and the other problems I have. I say that even knowing that Klonopin completely silenced my ringing while I was on it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Yes I noticed that in the beginning it is very difficult. When I start I have troubles relaxing and letting go all the thoughts. But there are times when I feel my body getting heavy and it feels good.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In some ways I find it easier to stay in a meditative mode when I'm slightly agitated, because if my thoughts are uncomfortable it is easier for me to recognize them as "just thoughts" and not follow them. When I start to feel good, it gets a lot more tempting to just go with my thoughts and I end up daydreaming instead of meditating. But, one day at a time...

I have noticed that after 5-10 minutes my vision often gets dark and my pupils dilate. I think there is a serotonin regulation mechanism at play. Interesting...

8. Lisa123
      Overworked

Lisa123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sometimes when I'm in bed, my T becomes so overwhelming that it seems as if it is silent. That's how I fall asleep. I don't know if this is related to meditation. But my T becomes the focus of my attention in those moments.