In Need of Advice: Anyone Went to College with Tinnitus? How Did You Handle It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Oliver Bloom, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Oliver Bloom

Oliver Bloom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi! Sorry if this is put in the wrong section, but im in need of some advice!

So, my dream for a long time now has been to go to college in the US. I'm from Sweden and just finished school, so it seems like the right time for it. I've had Tinnitus and Visual Snow for about 1.5 years now and still feel really bad, depression, anxiety etc. So really what's stopping me from going to the US is my tinnitus... I want to be able to party and have fun with friends etc. but i feel like my T usually gets worse after a night out(with earplugs) and i don't wanna be "that guy" who never goes out, you know?

I should add that i went to Spain on a vacation with friends during this summer, where i felt really good the whole week since i didn't think about my T too much, and used earplugs where it was a little bit too loud. So i feel like a change in the environment can really help, so maybe i'll feel good once i start college?

Is there anyone else in here that went to college with tinnitus, and if so, how did you handle it? Any help is really apreciated

Thanks in advance and sorry for any misspelling...

2. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      My T became intrusive about a year and a half before I graduate college. I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. At times your T will be loud, especially when stressed, but it shouldn't be too bad when you're actually focused on the lecture. I used masking g sou ds to study and do homework. Partying will be another issue. I go out every so often with earplugs. All my friends know I have T and hearing loss so they somewhat accommodate me to be able and carry conversations. The T and gearing loss really helped me distinguish my real friends. Those who wanted to be there to help were and those who began to ignore me, well, all the better for both sides, I'm happier this way. Don't let T stop you from coming to the U.S. You will regret it later if you really are passionate about studying here. What colleges are you planning to visit?

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was in college in the late 70's with bad T. I didn't deal with it very well.
      If I were in college today I'd be doing the Back To Silence method. You can read about it in the "Success Stories" section here on the forum.

4. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I say go to college! Don't let T get in the way of pursuing your education. :) Just keep in mind that going out and partying isn't all there is to do in college and you'd be surprised how many of us stay in and just hang out with friends instead.

5. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      listen to ppl here. go to college. live your life, your way. on your terms. don't let tinnitus dictate that to you.

• Agree Agree x 3