Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Articles like that are what keep me going. Did they mean noise induced also or just specifically what was talked about? I dont know medixal terms. Thanks for sharing.

2. chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems as tike goes on you see more and more research facilities gaining confidence in their time frame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Guys,
      Is US policy right now such that we aren't advancing stem cell research like this because of so called ethical reasons?
      I heard a politician recently say that he heard of a blind person have their sight restored due to stem cell implantation and is going to try to change legislation to allow stem cell research to proceed unabated.
      Anybody following stem cell research in the US?
      Thanks

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
    6. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wait...but they are recruiting for stem cell trials? It doesn't really matter what part of the body as long as they are doing it. I feel the hearing organ would be a piece of cake compared to the heart

7. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
    8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This editorial from November 2016 by Dr. Harrison Lin, an ENT at University of California, Irvine is interesting. My admittedly fast and loose take on the "too long; didn't read" version is "hey guys, the science to help people suffering from tinntius and Hyperacusis has been proven for many years in animals - WHAT are we waiting for? Let's hurry it up already and get serious about starting human therapy NOW. Not in 5 or 10 years, but NOW."

http://journals.lww.com/thehearingj...aring_Loss___A_Clinician_s_Perspective.2.aspx

So as far as the clinic in Korea, I don't know, but this ENT at UC Irvine seems to feel that the field is ready to start helping people who are suffering. I don't know if is a matter of some visionary people taking initiative (like in Korea?) or money, or what. But Dr. Lin seems to feel that things are ready to start moving. So if he is right it would make sense if we started to see some successes at innovative clinics.

9. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Yeah if we were mice we would all be cured already :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      After reading this I can see better that developing a cure for damaged inner ear is utterly complex.

https://hearinglosscure.stanford.ed...ceedings-of-the-national-academy-of-sciences/

I wonder. Do researchers need to understand every single step and process in the development of the inner ear before successful regeneration (or part regeneration) is possible?
      I suppose serendipity decreases when complexity increases.

11. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So what's the deal with the clinic in NY? Nobody has used them??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Which clinic in NY?

13. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...l-treatment-comments.1891/page-27#post-215898

ReGen Medical in New York City advertises stem cell treatment for tinnitus using autologous adipose-derived stem cells. Who is in New York and wants to try?

http://regenmedicalpc.com/cellular-therapy/treatment-options/

http://www.repairstemcells.org/Old-...ements/New-US-Stem-Cell-Treatment-Center.aspx

Based on the information in the Excel spreadsheet, they seem to be the only stem cell clinic in the United States openly offering to treat tinnitus.

www.cell.com/cms/attachment/2062931415/2065421495/mmc2.xlsx

14. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just got done meeting with my audiologist. She got her Ph.D and studied T.

She was telling me they are trying to cure hearing loss. It's not here yet but they are close.

That's exciting.

15. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months

Well you know when the major companies for hearing aid, and hearing implans are going to alow that their profit just wanishes, do you know??? NEVER!!! Dream about it, money rules not some doctors

16. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Yeah its called hearing aids

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months

Real problem in this is simple:

It is like someone say you need to regrow tooth, that is not a problem, you do regrow tooth BUT that tooth has no nerve inside and therefore you not feel cold and hot changes that tooth that has nerve can

18. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol. I'll listen to the PhD over yall....sorryyyy

19. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I'd listen to the PhD too... If we don't believe a cure is possible, who will ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well considering she didn't sell me on any trt stuff or hearing aids. She genuinely believed there would be a cure sometime soon

• Like Like x 3
    21. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I'm glad she is optimistic, but that is really all that is. She doesnt know more than the people on these forums that spend countless hours reading on the internet. The information on this thread is more than any one person can know and a great source of information. Soon, means 10-20 years. Anything that involves a clinical trial is years away and that is only if there is anything in the pipeline. Genvec is the only company doing a clinical trial right now and the results have been less than optimistic. A cure, 100 percent hearing restoration, we are a really long time from something like that.
      I am optimistic though about the stem cell procedures. I don't think they will have to follow the red tape of the clinical trials which could save us 5 to 10 years of trials and testing. Those gerbals in the UK got most of their hearing back 4 years ago. There is something to it and it might be what the South Koreans are doing with some success.

Frequency therapeutics mentioned a great breakthrough approx 6 months ago, but no information was provided.

Really the only ones that know anything are the companies that are coming up with the therapies. They are super tight lipped only because its billions in profit for anyone to develop a true cure for hearing loss. They are not going to share any information with anyone including me or her.

So I hate to say it, but she doesnt know any more than half the people on this thread, unless she is a contributing member to this thread, but I'll stay optimistic and say that it has never looked better than it does today.

22. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      I'm a bit iffy on the "industry trying to suppress hearing loss cure" thing. I think that if they were smart, they would go with the flow and massively invest in it first. It's coming eventually, and a better way to deal with it is turn it into a competition. The more groups working on it, the more likely someone will get to first place sooner, in my opinion.

I'm no expert on this, clearly, but that's how I see it.

23. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Think of hearing aids to Kodak as canon was to stem cell/gene theraly/nanotechnology ....we all know what happened to Kodak. :-/ lololol.

My audiologist knows about TT forum. She did her doctoral research on tinnitus. She knows wassup.

Funny, she had the most bubbly personality, says it helps calm her patients.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I do believe she knows what she's talking about if it comes to hearing loss, but is there any scientific evidence that once it's restored T will disappear? I'm affraid that curing T may be even more complex task than restoring hearing.
      You could ask her on your next visit, since she studied T she should have some opinion about correlation between restoring hearing T supression.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And did she disclose what does close mean in terms of years? 5 years, 20 years, hałf a century? "Close" is such a vague description.

26. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Top!
      We all see different estimates. Close is also relative. 10 years is close for someone 20 years of age, but not so close if you are 70.
      My audiologist was not so positive. He was estimating 10-20 years.
      The only option open to me is read whatever I think I understand.
      Just keep building up my understanding of all the different research.
      I have a disadvantage of 5 years? How long does it take to understand basic cell biology?
      My biggest problem is my lack of a solid basic education in biology. As a technician I choose a different occupation.
      Although I know someone that became a brain surgeon at the age of 36.
      If you have this capacity to learn it can be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just gave a call to this NY stem cell clinic, they had 2/3 years ago 2 or 3 patients treated for a different conditions(don't know what they were treated for exactly) who reported Tinnitus Improvement as a side effect of the main treatment. My feeling after a call was they have no experience nor idea how to approach tinnitus, it makes absolutely no sense to try treating T at their clinic, they have no experience with it at all. The cost is 15th USD.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I think you are doing well, Reinier. Lots of interesting posts:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
    30. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes, we always talk in terms of drugs, clinical trials, etc, but stem cells could well bypass all that.

But we need to be optimistic and spread the word. We need the doctors, but they also need us to understand what we have and why we want a "cure".

• Agree Agree x 2