Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Frequency, Decibel and Sound Pharmaceutical will all start a trial in 2018, we just need that one out of the three works...

• Like Like x 1
    2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Are they all working within the same paradigm? Do you think when they find something that restores hearing in acute trauma situations, it will translate directly to people with long term noise induced hearing loss? To be honest, my vain and completely stupid fear, is that they will find a way to heal hearing trauma induced hearing loss and tinnitus short term, preventing all new sufferers from suffering after, while us who got it before from a single noise incident are left to suffer the rest of our lives, watching others live carelessly, because we were born a few years too early.:(

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I understand your fear. I have been pondering that myself, but consider this; if they found a way to treat recently induced hearing trauma and/or Tinnitus, would they tap into the already big market of current sufferers? No, they won't.

It is this market that makes it interesting for them to come up with a treatment. There is a billion-dollar market waiting for the first organization who comes up with a viable treatment with reasonable efficacy. We are currently dealing with the so-called "babyboom-generation", the generation who came to be after the second world war. That generation is considerable in size and they are either experiencing or starting to experience hearing issues right now. If they will wait too long and that generation perishes, they will miss out on a big potential market.

Next to that there is already a considerable amount of young people suffering from hearing issues due to personal audio use or visiting concerts and discotheques. For all those people, it would be "too late" by the time they come up with a treatment for recent issues. It means for them that they will only be able to scrape the tip of the iceberg and I would imagine that the return on investment would either be long-term or with unsatisfying results.

I guess it's more realistic to believe that finding a treatment for recent cases will boost the research to long-term cases and even speed up their way to a cure. Investors will flock into this new market if it shows promising progress and the potential returns will be huge.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      The barrier between long term and short term damage will be destroyed when stem cells and gene therapies will start to work.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    5. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Well the good news is not if...but when.

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

I have bilateral hearing loss but respond to residual inhibition

7. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Thanks !

9. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Big bucks for whomever finds cures !

• Like Like x 2
    10. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hough Ear Institute
      If someone is close, why not take a tour to see their hair cell regeneration approach?
      http://houghear.org/new-tour-dates-for-2017/

From what I know, the technique of this regenerative approach is already licensed to Otologic Pharmaceuticals, which is also led by Hough Ears Richard Kopke. And Accelebio does venture Otologic.
      I also know, that they do research for long time with coorperation with the marines.
      So I think it's possible they have something in the lab, but when I see how they try to raise money it looks far smaller.
      http://houghear.org/10-days-200000-match/

11. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Any news on a hearing loss cure coming out? I don't even care about the ringing as much, just want my hearing back.

Haven't heard much yet on new news. But remember vaguely reading about a possible hearing loss trial starting his year or next year. Anyone have some hope out there?

• Like Like x 1
    13. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Hopefully 2 will start next year: Sound Pharmaceuticaland Frequency Therapeutics. I explained it all to you already and others did too. If your that desesperate to get your hearing back go get some experimental treatments. Nothing official in 8-10 years.

14. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      well i guess you dont have bad T

15. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I would say everyone has bad T at the beginning. It gets better, if you can get rid of the anxiety and grief, and then after years it gets a lot better as your brain adapts. If you have good hearing its even easier to deal with T. I'm in the same boat. I would love to get my hearing back. My T is manageable as long as I can manage my emotions. If I can stay extremely happy, my T is almost gone. Its not an easy thing to do in this world, but its what I have found is best for coping.

• Like Like x 2
    16. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It would be interesting to go on the tour and see what is going on. I still stay skeptical with that one. If they are $50k away from then why not just get private investors. 50k for a breakthrough in a billion dollar industry seems like a good deal to me.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And again if you dont have bad T like other people that will be even more hard for you. I got reactive T Thats not easy to ignore :/ And i know that T can get worse then what i have because i have tried worse T that was imposible to ignore, but i was lucky that it did go away after 2 weeks. But my T i have now i can hear it when im driving but ye i can ignore it, but then soon after my Reactive T kicks in and the it starts to get hard. :(

18. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      He doesn't have bad hearing loss either... @jdjd09 : do you see a therapist ? You won't go anywhere asking the same question every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    20. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      It seems that this company has a lot of work going on for multitdud and diseases. Now they will get to work with the audition. I am sure that before 2030 there will be solutions to recover the audience and decrease / eliminate tinnitus!

http://www.dna.com/Markets/Health/Pipeline

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
    22. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No i dont have hearing lose, i have been testet for that 2 times by my Ear doctor thing :). But i have to say i dont feel like my hearing is perfect even when i have no problem hearing at all :/ I fell like i have a hard time to hear what people are saying sometimes but its not that bad.

23. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Not talking about you...

24. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This has to be good news. I don't think they were going to be able to survive much longer the way they were burning through cash and they do have some good products. I was surprised though that Novartis didn't try to buy them out since last I checked their stock was really low.

25. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All of our T is different. I have gone from Jet engine for 6 plus months to barely noticeable in a few years. I don't have reactive T though, but I keep away from any loud noises at all times or my T will get much worst. I can only hope that your brain can adapt so you can lead a somewhat normal life.

26. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ok....

27. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      If I remember well, jd has only a 30-40dB loss in one ear at certain frequencies. Nothing too bad, I'd be glad to have that.

I understand his suffering, but he really needs help.

28. Blimey...is that all! JD you wanna swap ears with me? I be more glad to swap my profound left ear and severe left ear with you any day. Seriously, if someone like me can enjoy life with such bad hearing and T, so could you. Go out and do something, start gym, take up a sport. Most importantly, be involved in your social circle

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Dave Neale

Dave Neale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 9th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Single Sided Hearing Loss
      Hi Guys, I went deaf in my left ear in December, gutted. Although it was replaced by Tinnitus. Great ;-(
      Although what I have is Tinnitus in my deaf ear which reacts to sound in my right ear. Thats really annoying since I cant mask it like most people. Does anyone know whether tinnitus dies down or changes over the years.

Would like some positive stories if posisble