Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes right, a soild treatment isn't here right now. First of all, they have to proof, that it's possible
      to enhance some hearing threshold in human hearing. Nobody knows exactly if it's really working and
      embedding in a damaged inner ear.
      But that's subject of these intesitive research.
      Maybe in 2017 we get some results of the Genvec/Novartis trial. Ofcourse, we can't expect
      that there is already a cure for hearing loss. It will take years again.
      But next year will be a new enrolment of clinical trials. Probably Audion/Otologic and Sound Pharmaceuticals
      will prepare for trials.
      We all wish a cure right now, but this is just not realistic. But things are looking great and there is a big development in the field.
      As for tinnitus, I guess recover hearing will at least lower perception of tinnitus.
      I have both, hearing loss and tinnitus, and when I'm affected with a cold which steal me some extra decibels, Tinnitus is much louder. In my case, regain some hearing would probably also lower tinnitus.

I'm very happy about all this research and hope for a first treatments in the next years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I take cold ez when I get a cold. It really helps for after the cold when you spend weeks with less hearing as a result. This last time I did every 2-4 hours and cold was gone in 3 days and my hearing was never affected.

Yes, there is big development happening right now. Agreed, it is going to be a while. I don't check the forums as much anymore everyday hoping to find some miracle answer. It will come, in time.

3. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      "Agree to a degree" :)

You are right, however i would like to comment on stem cell treatments that are availavle right now.

Current stage of stem cell treatments are on early stage and just starting to get on to their "teens".

Right now clinics are taking stems and injecr either on to "damaged" area or via IV. Direct injections require surgery-like setup at that clinic and very skilled surgeon who will prrform injection.

With IV - simple nurse can petform 50% of entire shebang that neess to be done, other 50% is doctor taking stems, prep in lab, giving all that to nurses when needed and other therapies that come along with this to provide greater regeneration.

With IV approach we are shooting with cannon. Taking whole buch of stem cells and delivering to our blood. Is that good or bad? I think its more question of effectiveness. (I heard only 1 case of cancer after treatment but it is not clear if person had it prior, just never got diagnosed).

Some people get lucky and not only their missaligment got cured but also other things that they havent concidered being "that bi

4. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      Guys i would not trust anyone with stem cells until its officiel by you doctor or hospital or where ever it will be. I will not trust a private company for this :/ not now atleast we will most likely have to wait 3-7 years before it will be officiel :/

5. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, are there any real timelines out there for hearing loss cures at this point for minor high frequency hearing loss (high frequency on the hearing tests)? Any idea who is working on a cure, what they are doing, ,when they are doing drug trials, and when they hope to release by?

Sorry for all these questions, but I seriously just want some hope. Mainly for a hearing loss cure.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No timeline that I know of, just speculation.
      Given that we don't have a solid blueprint on how to do it yet, I would assume it's not in the near future, but we may stumble on some unexpected results, for example with stem cells, and from that devise better cures with a faster timeline.
      Some of the greatest discoveries in history were accidental (like penicillin). It could happen with Tinnitus.

8. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I'm mainly talking about hearing loss, not tinnitus. I mean, would 10 years be honestly realistic? I have hears some claim that a couple companies are coming out with trials for hearing loss in the next couple of years. Not to mention the one going on currently.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's what I was talking about too.

10. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I can't remember which but some of the latest drugs developed but turn the supporting cells into 2 cells: a haircell and a supporting cell, so they won't be any loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      We are supposed to hear the results of the genvec navartis clinical trials sometime in 2017.

http://ir.genvec.com/press-releases...vides-update-on-hearing-loss-clinical-program

I'm so excited :) :) :) I don't have super high hopes for the trial but I do have high hopes that we are starting to actually do clinical trials to help/cure hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Derek D
      Balanced

Derek D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock/Loud Music

I agree with you I am not sure these trials will work but it is good that we are starting to see work done to fix T

13. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      Is there someone who can tell me what the difference is between what Professor Marcelo are doing compared to Genvec

14. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 6
    15. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      Some optimistic news for 2017: http://journals.lww.com/thehearingj...l_2017_Produce_a_Hearing_Breakthrough_.1.aspx

And:

Like Spoor, Rudden expressed the importance of more collaboration between researchers and independent practices. “As the profession's entrepreneurs, private practitioners are often the first to look outside the box’ and find creative ways to maximize patient care AND cost-effectiveness.” Citing some examples, “Practicing audiologists could participate even more directly with researchers to design clinical protocols and practical documentation methods, provide beta-testing feedback as well as acting as community liaisons for patient/family outreach to assure best measurable outcomes.”

That might speed up things.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Before shifting gears the need more money as they put several projects on hold. So take your credit card and donate the money you can miss!

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, what are the timelines for the different companies/organizations on getting hearing loss cured (I didn't say tinnitus, I said hearing loss)? I make that distinction to focus in on my question.

All I want is to know a cure is likely n the next 10 years (or close to it). I just want to recover my hearing to a "normal level" in the 12kHz and below range.

19. No timeline from any company/organisation.

No cure very unlikely now or in 10 years time. Too little knowledge and too much yet left to discover about the inner ear

I been deaf for 28 years Jd...has anything came out apart from cochlear implants and better hearing aids...nope

20. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cure is not likely in 10 years.

You have been told this a number of times. Try to accept it.

When there is a prospect of a cure coming in 5 to 10 years, you will know about it. It will make international headlines.

21. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

There is headlines that say it is happening. They just don't give timelines sometimes. I don't accept that because there are people saying that it is occurring. I have heard both stories on here.

22. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

The coclear implant came out, which prevents total deafness, so things are progressing. And lots of companies are coming out with stuff too they say. Just no one is saying a timeline is all. This is why I ask. I feel someone out there has some timelines.

23. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know, seems like the top researchers in the world say that we are pretty close....but hey, what do they know! I'll believe the internet doctors on this forum instead.

We seem to have a pretty solid grasp on how the inner ear works and how we hear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Around June 2044 I heard.

Man, never trust someone who will give a timeline, there is none. That doesn't mean it can't be close, it's just not how it works.

Ask your therapist why you always ask this very question and work on it to get better, in the meantime.

25. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can't really have a timeline for research like this. Just be happy there is forward progress and we're actually in clinical trials. Just be patient and live your life. Again, back when I got T in 2008, there was literally ZERO updates like there is today.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is probably more research and more awareness about T and H today, although - on the downside - some literature has been discussing T for like 20-30 years and there are not great advances.

Also, some of the renowned doctors that have been writing about T like Baguley or McKenna wrote things that probably dont hold true any more. Have a look at "Living with tinnitus and hyperacusis". The approach these doctors use to explain and give advice about T and H is so basic and plain wrong in many instances. And these are considered well-know "researchers".

Probably (and hopefully) some people today are more serious about their advice and research.

27. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I very much admire that you can live with that and I hope that you will enjoy the cure in your lifetime. I think a cure and improvements are different things. I do expect improvements within 10 years. A cure in which the medics are in full control will likely take more than 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Improvements will be enough for a lot of us I guess. Especially those with cochlear synaptopathy, as their (noise) damage is in early stages and probably didn't affect the stereocilia too much (explaining the normal tresholds).

• Like Like x 1
    29. cornelius

cornelius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      several acoustic traumas, always physician denial
      There were some records (but I don't remember when and where) implying that cochlear synaptopathy was even responsible for some substantial threshold drops which could mean double hope for most of us if grown factors become the first treatment available

30. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know about a cure, but we could see things that come out that provide improvements to hearing. All of those startup companies will probably go bankrupt in less than 10 years and investors don't like to wait that long for their money so we could see some good things come in the near future. There is also a race to see who gets there first and is able to reap all those billions of dollars in unclaimed cash for the victor.
      I am pretty hopeful that Decibel and Frequency will have something to us in less than 10 years and I think all of the research will continue to build upon itself.
      The HRP is 5 years into its 10 year promise. They said it was harder than they thought, but they are making progress. We might see something that provides a 20 or 30 percent hearing gain, along with help with balance in the next 5 to 10 years.