Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's great. Was it just a matter of time or did you find an effective therapy?

2. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      The hearing aid that I tried on was the Widex Passion 220. The cost is $3,200. Also, my family doctor says that the patients he treats with T, some of them do find that hearing aids works for them, and they use them at night for sleeping. He also said a cheap hearing aid would work just as well. I haven't gotten them, but I might at some point.

3. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I did not use any therapy. I think in 5 months time it just slowly lessened. I went outside a lot and listened to birds chirping, walked through malls, first went to quieter restaurants, and then progressed to noisier restaurants. I really think that exposing yourself to more natural sounds along with time should help. I read posts from other members whose hypercusis went away, and they all said time and exposure to sounds helped them. Really, listen to the birds chirp.

4. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Just wanted to add that anytime I was on the computer I had simplynoise rain on in the background, and rain/waterfall sounds at night on my kindle and sleepphones.

5. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Patty
      Great that the hyperacusis has improved so much.
      Has your tinnitus improved at all?

6. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Well, the sound is probably the same level, but I don't focus on it or care if it's higher or lower.You know you just get sick of it. My sleeping is still not what it was, but it's because I don't want to take too many meds. I was able to kick Ambien, thankfully, and take Trazadone only now. I am much improved overall since onset.

7. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks Patty, I kind of know what you mean - I am soooo bored of having this, but the boredom hasn't yet quite translated into not caring. I am hoping I will get to that soon :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You will, watch and see:)

9. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    10. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      Rats are smallest mammals, from which you can observe the results of experiments or trials, in a small period of time. However, small body means giving quick reaction to any changes in the metabolism. I think, using rats is for time and volume saving in the labratory..

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 3
    12. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Please keep us posted. I have significant hearing loss plus the T and this would be so wonderful.

13. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That`s a good observation, but wasn`t it also that their inner ear, cochlea is very similar to that of humans so they can relate the changes happening?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah I also think i heard something about that. Just like pigs are used in some other fields because some of their organs are very similar to ours.

15. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    16. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      Yes; their cochlea is similar to humans', because they are mammals like humans..However, i don't know if the rats have a particular similarity of cochlea other than the other mammals have.

18. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Rats are used because they're easy to take care of, small, and easy to do research on. They have been extensively studied, and I'm pretty sure the entire rat genome has been mapped as well. The same can be said about mice.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Estimated Study Completion Date: September 2015

I guess the completion date is not that far away. Take another half year for the data to be processed and published. Hopefully they will be posting good news.

Now, i know there is nothing mentioned in the research or news article about Tinnitus. But one theory is that Tinnitus is caused by the death and damage of hair cells. Maybe if this gene therapy works in regrowing hair cells, the Tinnitus can be reduced / cured.

One can always dream ;)

20. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Nobody knows the outcome of this treatment. Basiclly, it's proof of concept, so it would be a success if there grows 1 hair cell and nobody involved gets hurt by side effects. If all run well would he a good base to develop further therapies.

So this isn't likely a cure for the masses at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      News from Heller Lab (Stanford)
      I really don't get all about, but looks very complex and crazy.
      Reconstructing the Inner Ear, the Math Way

22. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Do you think the rats and mice also get p***ed off at having tinnitus? If they have no emotional reaction maybe they have all naturally habituated ....

23. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    24. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    25. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      On a side note. Nature did a bad job not giving us the chance to regrow haircells ... anyone know the reason why this is so? fish use more like vibrations I guess, offcourse birds really need therirears for the intricate songs they sing as means of comunication ... but monkeys they would need that too no, communicating? ... what the hell went wrong?

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      CGF166 Gene Therapy for Severe Hearing Loss

Study objective: The goal of this study is to assess the safety and tolerability of an inner ear infusion of CGF166, a gene therapy. Another goal is to assess the effectiveness of CGF166 by measuring changes in hearing before and after treatment. Some of the possible benefits that researchers believe CGF166 may provide include improved hearing that may be revealed as improved speech recognition, and the ability to benefit from a hearing aid and avoid the need for a cochlear implant.

Source: https://pioneersresearch.org/node/182
      That's a very interesting link. In the study description they state "some of the possible benefits". I'm hoping that curing or diminishing Tinnitus and Hyperacusis is one of them.

Now I hope some participants that have Tinnitus as well get to join the study.

Crazy idea: Would it be rude to flat out mail them with the question if this could help treat Tinnitus?

27. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal

Crazy idea: Would it be rude to flat out mail them with the question if this could help treat Tinnitus?
      I think that's a good idea

28. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,

I think this trial is more likely a proof on concept (it's also described as such)...
      My guess is, that they d'like to figure out if there will be a regrow of hair cells and if they
      are connecting correctly with some sound recover and if they can integrate to residual hair cells.
      If there is success (it's described as 10dB), they might invest more work in this research for the next
      10 years.
      Would be a dream if it would work and some people could benefit right out of the bedside.

I think, they can't say anything if there is Tinnitus relief or not, they have to ask the trial
      participants. I their best case scenario, they will still be profoundly deaf. :-(

Let's hope for an optimal start!

29. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    30. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I'm afraid you're correct in that this is only a proof of concept. But still, I hope for great success.
      Is the Action on Hearing Loss link the same trial?