Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      No, no, it's something different, it's lab work, kind,of screening.

2. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey rainman,
      Did you apply?

3. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JohnDoe
      Dancing

JohnDoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      From the article:

Jeffrey T. Corwin, PhD, of UVA’s Departments of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, noted that if both a human and a hen were to be exposed to a sound loud enough to destroy the ability to hear a certain pitch, the outcomes would be very different: “We would lose the ability to hear that sound for the rest of our lives. The bird also would lose the ability, but within 10 days, it would have its cells back – they would hook back up to the nerves, and within a few weeks its hearing would be back and almost indistinguishable from before.”

I've got to admit, i'm jealous of chickens / birds now. Let's hope they're close to cracking this nut. I would give all my money for a Tinnitus cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Reply from the hospital in China:

profile_mask2.png
      info@hopestemcell.com
      12:22 AM (9 hours ago)
      cleardot.gif
      to me
      cleardot.gif
      We do not treat in South Africa. All of our hospitals are in China and are the best for stem cell treatment and i am speaking as an American. The cost would be $24,000 and it is curable. We treat hearing loss cases of all kinds every month. If still interested, I will send you more information.

Randy Robinson
      Director of Operations Hope Medical Group
      Hope Hospital for Stem Cell and Cancer research
      http://hopestemcell.com/
      ☎Tel: Toll free 1 855 517 5550

So very pricey and does it work? According to an earlier post on this thread, someone got Hepatitus from it and no cure!

6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @SteveToHeal Interesting reply you got there.

"and it is curable"
      What exactly is curable? T or hearing loss? Both?

How come the chinese has medical knowledge that the rest of the world has yet not? I think there's something fishy going on here. But of course I hope I'm wrong.

7. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @lapidus - Agreed. Something very fishing going on here. I think the world would have heard about it if they could cure hearing loss.

I will reply to them and ask more questions, if it is for T or hearing loss and how come they have this knowledge before everyone else. It will be interesting to see their reply at least. But how is that price tag? Anyone wanting a cure for T, start saving now or sell your house.

I'll also bounce this off my audiologist. She is at the international tinnitus symposium this week. I will revert feedback from her to all, upon her return. Any useful info, I will post in a new forum thread, so as to not to divert this thread.

8. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, you do that. I also googled that guy who replied to you. I just gazed through it but check it out:
      http://thestemcellguardian.yolasite.com/article-featuring-me.php
      No mentioning of hearng loss and tinnitus on that list though.

On a related sidenote:
      Does anyone know what's going on in Japan regarding research for hearing disorders? Japan has always struck me as a futuristic country with their high tech, gadgets and architechture. Maybe they also would be a step ahead of the western world when it comes to this too?

9. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks @lapidus
      Great thinking on googling the guy. Yes - no mention of T or HL on the list. Quite remarkable tho, all the other ailments, they say they can cure.

I just tried both his gmail and hotmail. This one bounces: randyr2266@hotmail.com.
      Lets see what he comes back with.

-Steve

• Like Like x 1
    10. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    11. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,

I don't think that they are a separated "island" of research. I guess, researchers working on inner ear problems are well networked. But maybe I'm wrong..

12. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, one would think so since researchers and doctors have conferences and gatherings and such. But on the other hand, if this chinese stem cell stuff is what it claims to be. Than those guys have knowledge that the western world don't know about :S

13. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes but I'm afraid that these Stem Cell Centers are quite strange.
      Look at their websites, there is almost no clear information, even the location isn't well documented.
      I would say, if they could cure everything they claim, why should all the western campanies do such expensive and long term research?
      In my opinion, it's rather dangerouse to do that!

If they would really cure, it would be much more famouse...and I don't think there is conspirancy between west/eastern pharma or what ever...

14. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      I think it is not about knowledege, it is about the value given to the human life and rights that are more important and respected in the western world.

15. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, I think so too.

Agreed. As I said before, there is something fishy about this.

16. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I mean I would do a lot to get some of my hearing back and lower T. But in this case, I'm more than careful even to believe.
      Years ago, there was a Chinese Clinic who claimed that they can regrow hearing cells with a special injection (drug)....
      Never appeared somewhere again.

Ofcourse there could be some "hidden" research going on, but I think it's more the case if pharma develop their drugs.
      For example Novartis/Genvec trial.
      The technology Genvec licensed is from 2005. So I hope and believe that Novartis
      http://www.nibr.com/util/contacts.shtmlmaybe did more research without any publications at it's biotech fascility.
      Audion Therapeutics already licensed some stuff from Massachussetts Eye and Ear and Roche does completly hidden research with inception3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14
      I too exchanged a few emails with the HOPE clinic. Awaiting a phone call.

18. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

I wonder why there is no feedback.iirc someone asked them that hundreds of patients have gotten hearing treatment at HOPE. At least Dr.Wilden with his LLLT therapy measures the hearing before and after, do the HOPE have any improvement to show the patients? It costs ten time more.

19. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its false HOPE,look at it logically Stanford are working their ass off to regenerate haircells with stemcells and yet have really failed to do so as of yet at least in a human,Genvec have been testing and researching for years and are only now cautiously going ahead with trials really just hopeing they regenerate even one haircell in a human and how haircells even develop has been a bit of a mystery until recently judgeing from one of the links ive read.These are really intelligent people and for some random chinese hospital to have figured it out on their own and yet arent world renowned for this amazing scientific leap forward it just shouts SCAM!!My opinion is be patient and leave it up to the professionals.So tired of places like this claiming they can cure everything and they just cant,just cashing in on desperate people and its so inhumane to do something like this.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    20. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      101% agree!

• Like Like x 1
    21. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Randy Robinson has a long history with Chinese stem cell companies (originally he worked for Beike Biotechnologies). Since then he joined Hope Hospital in Zhuhai as an agent. But the hospital later dismissed him as he did too much markup on the stem cell treatment costs and also promised future patients benefits/features which could not be met (by the hospital). According to employees of Hope Hospital, he also got into legal trouble with the Police as he was involved in a brawl with a local Chinese citizen at a petrol station. Since then, he has set himself up in the United States claiming to be working for Hope Hospital - but he does not. He has made a copy of the Hospital's original website and stolen some of the photos:

www.hopehospitalchina.com (original/authentic webiste of Hope Hospital)
      http://hopestemcell.com/ (Randy Robinson's scam website)

Randy Robinson now works as a con artist. What he does is quite simple: he pretends to be working for Hope Hospital - and asks future patients to pay a deposit of USD 2000,- so that stem cells can be cultured for the specific treatment. With this deposit, he explains that the order can be cancelled up until two weeks before treatment start (or whatever). Since he has indepth knowledge of the stem cell business (and also has worked for the hospital itself), potential candiates for treatment will not immediately suspect anything is wrong. He will also issue a fake letter of invitation for the Chinese Embassies around world (required in order to obtain VISA for the medical treatment in China). Additionally he will request all the usual things that any stem cell treatment centre will request eg. copy of passport, copy of flight itinerary, and so on...

Besides that, he is also the proud father of a little daughter and has worked as a paramedic; I guess not all health workers can be trusted equally. And I am sure his daughter will be proud of him when she grows older...

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    22. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

Stanford's Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss

And this guy, this eminent Stanford ENT guy, apparently has T himself. He didn't have much to say when someone asked him about Tinnitus vis a vis curing hearing loss with regrowth of inner ear hair cells, other than hopefully, if you restore the hair cells then you halt the ringing. As we all already know and hope is true.

23. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Regenerating an inner hair cell is a "proof of concept" topic (which is not necessarily the same as treating hearing loss) and belongs to the school of pure research (as opposed to applied research). Current adult Mesenchymal stem cell treatments do have the ability to reverse hearing loss to some extent - the reason being that inner hair cells are not necessarily lost, but merely damaged (to begin with). A rough guideline states that one decibel of hearing is gained for every 10 million Mesenchymal stem cells delivered. But there are other factors which play into the success rate:
      1) The type of hearing loss (auto-immune, noise induced, ototoxicity-induced, congenital hearing loss, physical trauma hearing loss, presbycusis).
      2) The age of the patient
      3) The severity of hearing loss
      4) Stem cell type used (own vs donated stem cells; potency of stem cells used - eg. pluripotent or multipotent)
      5) Treatment method (length of treatment; clinic treatments last usually a week, hospital treatments last longer)
      6) Time delay between onset of hearing loss and the treatment itself.

So hearing loss can be treated already today. Here are some of the pioneers along with myself (read pages 7 to 9 in the link below; contains audiograms before/after treatment). L Francis and Chloe Sohl are the best examples to date. Stem cell count is probably the most important factor for the success outcome. Both used the same protocol (= 600 million IV delivered stem cells split across 3 injections, 5 days apart).

www.c-a-network.com/pdfs/240186%20SHHH.pdf

Some addtional youtube videos (both contain information about treatments which are already available):

RNL BIO Rescues a College Student from...

First FDA Approved Study of Stem Cells to...

There are many other things to consider, but the above is what I would consider a starting point.

• Informative Informative x 2
    24. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Agree with you ATEOS and find your work on reversing hearing loss very interesting and thought provoking and hope you have incredible success with your pioneering treatments,but as you have also pointed out in your above post I was merely stateing that this clinic cannot live up to the incredible claims it would want you to believe,they use a very over powering word in their claims,and that is they can CURE hearing loss as oppose to treating it with their methods.Its a very bold claim to make on their behalf and to ask for such incredible sums of money just shouts SCAM.This in my opinion was proved by yourself with your very informative post on Randy Robinson that this is just one big scam.Best Wishes Bill.

25. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have to agree with his comments though,as we havent regenerated haircells in a human patient with T as of yet we can only hope that regenerateing them will decrease or abolish T,but we have no real proof that it actually will.We just have to hope and wait and see.

26. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      What I was thinking as I listened to his presentation, was how this latest science is all about regenerating hair cells, of course. And as well how T is essentially caused by loss of those same hair cells, and so presumably the go hand in hand - loss of hearing/hair cells + cause of T in just about everyone, supposedly. And yet seemingly no consideration of that important component of inner ear degeneration. Like it's an afterthought.

I'm not offended at the indifference to T as it relates to damaged hair cells, just curious how it's the hearing loss alone that is so sought after to fix and cure. Does everyone who experiences inner hair cell loss/damage get T? Would love to know the answer to that.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    27. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I watched the full video and his lack of interest in tinnitus is frustrating. If they know what causes the sign, why are they not attempting to resolve the offender?

28. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      I think they just don't know, because they clould't treat people until now.
      But I am living T & hearing loss and I could imagine, that full hearing might give you at least relief in this frequencies.
      But nobody knows if it works and how it really sounds. There will be this Novartis trial soon, so let's hope for some natural recovery, could be a start.
      I believe that all this researchers at Stanford really do their best pushing forward the way.
      There will be an event soon, maybe with some encouraging news.
      https://hearinglosscure.stanford.ed...g-exploring-the-challenges-and-possibilities/

All the best
      Tom

29. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I hope that ear hair cell regeneration becomes a reality within the next twenty years if not sooner. I can live with the T, but the possibility of losing my hearing is absolutely unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14
      Just curious, does the real hospital exist, and is it Legit?