Inner Hair Cell Stereocilia Are Embedded in the Tectorial Membrane

Discussion in 'Research News' started by star-affinity, Sep 10, 2021.

1. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      New findings show that ”Inner hair cell stereocilia are embedded in the tectorial membrane” and according to the researchers it was previously thought only the outer hair cells had direct contact with the tectorial membrane. But these new findings show there's no space between the tectorial membrane and the hair cells – the stereocilia of both the inner and outer hair cells are totally embedded in the tectorial membrane.

Inner hair cell stereocilia are embedded in the tectorial membrane

Not sure what it implies, but I hope these findings takes us one step closer to curing hearing loss and perhaps also tinnitus. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Now I wouldn't know a stereocilia if it jumped up and bit me. Nevertheless, it cheers me up no end to see that the Scientific and Medical community are slowly, slowly gittin' daya.

I had always thought that a stereocilia was something like a "hat" or "cap" on top of an inner hair cell.

I'm still trying to imagine how they could also be -- I quote: "embedded in the tectorial membrane”.

The tectorial membrane is (I think) a sort of a piece of skin or material such like within the cochlea above the hair cells.

Thinks... so then... a cap on the inner hair cell, yet embedded in the membrane above. Ha! So the stereocilia must have some communication of some sort with the tectorial thingie! So that's where the tinnitus is!

Where do I collect my Nobel Prize?

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      Not sure how a human stereocilia looks, but I guess it's not too different from the stereocilia in a frog:

Stereocilia_of_frog_inner_ear.01.jpg

Here's a page with info about the tectorial membrane, which obviously needs updating if the findings in the study I linked to above concluded that also the inner hair cells are embedded in the tectorial membrane:

The tectorial membrane is a fibrous sheet overlying the apical surface of the cochlear hair cells. Structurally, it is a gel-like structure containing 97% of water. Tips of the outer hair cells are attached directly to this membrane.

Difference-Between-Basilar-and-Tectorial-Membrane_2.png

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      It's a delight to see that things are moving forward (not that I understand it all).

Just keep it coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1