Insomnia, and Tinnitus, Horrible Combo.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Viktor, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had insomnia for the better part of a decade, and Tinnitus for almost 2 years now. Most days, and nights, I hardly hear it. I'm so used to it by now. But every so often, it becomes deafening, then the headache sets in. Tonight, it's loud again. Usually I just wait it out, but for some reason, it's really depressing me tonight. I cannot sleep, it's so loud. I usually don't think like this, but I'm terrified that I'll have it forver. I don't want that, this really, really sucks. I'm a grown man, and all I want to do is cry right now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's okay. A few hours ago, I just blew my nose while holding my breath and I permanently worsened my T. It's so loud but I'm (trying) to ignore it. I try to think its not T and it's not there. Unfortunately, this spike is driving me insane. Just keep calm and stay relaxed. If you have to, you should try some melatonin to improve sleep. I heard it gets worse if you don't take it but you need the sleep. It also calms you down. Stay positive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi Viktor!

I know exactly what you mean! I guess the most of us know this. Sometimes crying can really help, so don't keep it back! Bring your mind to something else, even if it is hard. I'm sure you have situations where you focused on something and you do not recognize your tinnitus. Maybe watching TV or playing video games or just take a cold shower! This helped me sometime when I had bad moments in the night or when I had a panic attack. Your mind have to come down! One thing which helped me a lot was the positivity thread! I read it starting from site 1 until the end and it helped me a lot! There are many people with very bad tinnitus which are able now to live a normal life.

All the best!
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's probably only so bad right now cause I've had a cold for a few days now. I've calmed down a bit now, but it gets to you sometimes ya know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Victor. We hope you can find some useful advice from so many of the loving members here. We all understand your fears and anxiety over this. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Had any tests done? It says your tinnitus is caused by....."unknown". There are various triggers for tinnitus I'm afraid, and suffering insomnia sure won't help. You need to keep your sleeping patterns in check as best as possible with this. It's possible medications may have caused this noise, or just loud environments and music.

You need to be very honest with yourself and dig deep to think of what might have triggered this noise. If we have a better understanding of your lifestyle and medications, we may be able to guide you to talk with those who suffers for the same reasons you do.

We hope you find comfort here on this site. Everyone understands what you are going thru and will always be supportive. We care Victor!!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did see a doctor for itz after I'd been dealing with it for about a month. She tested my hearing, checked my ears, and all seemed fine. It was only in one ear initially, but it comes and goes in my left ear, it's primarily the right ear, with the left one occasionally chiming in. So she said she's pretty sure it's not caused by a tumor, seeing as how it's both ears. At first we tried allergy meds, other home remedies. Cause it started after I had gotten out of the shower, we thought I might have had water trapped in there, but I didn't. Had no recent loud noises, no reason, nothing. Just one of those cases where it started out if nowhere.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      Hello Victor. I'm new guy here. i'm not good in support. I just want to say I think crying is good at least for me. Whenever I cry my T is get better. and please lesson to this good people, they are expert.

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sometimes you just got to let it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Insomnia and T is a horrible combination. Unfortunately, especially at the beginning it is very hard to sleep with the incessant noises in our heads. I found medication such as phenergan and occasionally temazepam useful (though use benzos sparingly).
      After a while the body gets used to less sleep.
      Some useful tips are to get in tune with your circadian rhythm, get as much outdoor sunlight as you can. This stimulates vit D production and serotonin and will also help regulate melatonin production and cortisol. Once these hormones get out of whack sleeping becomes even more difficult. Also try not to use a tablet or smartphone for at least 2 hours before your normal sleeping time. The blue light given out stimulates the brain - the last thing you need when trying to sleep with T. I now use sleep meds less and less even though my tinnitus is louder than when it started.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The no sleep part has never really bothered me, my body is used to that, been 9 years with that now. But the Tinnitus hasn't helped, a first it worsened my insomnia, then i got used to it. But some nights it acts up, like tonight, I haven't slept in 24 hours.

11. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I had really bad insomnia at age 12 to 22 (or so). Can't imagine this in combination with T. I feel very sorry for you. Today it is like opposite extreme - I feel tired and can fall asleep quickly every day.
      Don't know why. It is not good, but still better than insomnia I had - and even did not know real cause. Hard to fall asleep and when I did, bad dreams usually to come. Fragile psychic, anxiety?... years before tinnitus.
      Wish you will be better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    12. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      I really sad that you can't sleep. I can sleep like always but newly every night I wake up at midnight and T'sound is high and then sleep again. I don't know why.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      I used to be a raging insomniac, Tinnitus actually makes me go to sleep earlier (not in a good way) Because its a constant strain on the mind, i get tired easier than i used to, I just want to go to sleep so i dont have to hear it anymore.

I think the worst part about Tinnitus is waking up to it, being reminded that you have it, and not being able to have a nice relaxing lie in..... like some annoying alarm you cant turn off.

• Agree Agree x 5
    14. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A good cry relieves tons of stress. Let it out brother. Sure wish I could cry at times. Need to find a real sad movie just to bring a tear.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I finally fell asleep. At around 9 am for me, after being awake for 29 hours. Sadly only slept for about 4 hours. But the super loudness of my tinnitus did subside, it's back to its normal volume, and down to one ear again. But, it's still there, unfortunately.

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Glad you slept for a bit and hope you sleep more tonight.
      Great to hear your tinnitus has calmed down for you......lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Glynis, thank you all of you. I was never really one for support groups, always told myself I could deal with it alone. But last night, last night was bad. My girlfriend was asleep, and I know nobody with Tinnitus, and just needed to hear from people who deal with it as well. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

18. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Be very careful with sleep. In the beginning of my nasty issues I went thru a period I could not fall asleep what so ever. I was awake for just over 5 days straight. Ended up in the hospital suffering from hallucinations. Real weird hallucinations that I never want to see again!! Sleep is terribly important.

I use melatonin supplements. One little 3mg fast dissolve tablet under the tongue about half hour before bed. Works well for me and some others on here. If your sleeping patterns continue to be poor, please see your doctor. This is very important.

• Like Like x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viktor

Viktor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your concern Mike. I have seen multiple doctors for my insomnia, and as of now, after 9 years of dealing with it, I'm still doing fine. As for melatonin, sadly I'm on of the people it doesn't work for. Which sucks. Also, for some reason, I'm resistant to most prescription pills as well, that also includes pain pills. My body hates me lol. My insomnia is somewhat under control now though. Most nights I get at least 6 hours. But occasionally I just can't sleep, and when my T acts up, I can't either. And I know what you mean about being awake for days, back about 3 years ago, when my insomnia was at its worst, I was awake for 8 days, hallucinations, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, I had it all. I ended up in the hospital, where they essentially knocked my ass out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My sleep is poor due to sever tinnitus in both ears and lucky get 10 hours a week.
      My mood dropped and no energy and could not function and went on for weeks .
      My doctor tried me on Melatonin but did not work for me and then put on 10mg amitryptaline for sleep and did not work.
      I ended up Off work for a while as could not function and low and now on a 10mg sleeping tablet and sleeping better and feeling better.
      As @MikeP505 says ,see your doctor if it continues.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hey Victor, you should come for support , especially if nobody arounds you is going through the same. I understand as well what insomnia is. You really, really should adress that. Not only because we generally feel better when we sleep , but in cases like your and mine - when T came out of nowhere, I believe long term sleeping problems are one of the cause. I had been having regualar sleepless nights for around two years before I got T one morning and I'm pretty sure it had sth to do with insomnia. Not to mention the devastating impact of insomnia on the whole organism. I sleep very well recently but only because I have no job, which sucks, but when I'm not stressed about getting up in the morning and I don't have anything important to do , I sleep just fine. IT's enough though that sth important is suppose to happen the next day and instantly I have trouble sleeping = it's mostly stress. Sometimes it's just neighbours or noises in the neigbourhood, noises in the flat, noises in the pipes, problems with leaking sinuses or just not sleeping for no good reason. Every day there may be another thing that just ruins my sleep. After a longer while of such reality my brain went nuts I guess . Needless to say at the beginning, apart from all the reason above, it was also impossible to sleep because of T, whereas I was already so exhausted with insomnia for so many other reasons. Life is beautiful, right? Only last few months I've been able to sleep deep enough regardless of the noises around, but since the onset of T I haven't slept one night without masking, it's impossible. When sometimes my player stops at night I will wake up to my T. If the player works fine, ( I listen to ambient music ) , then I sleep the whole night through . I also had a period of taking plenty of different pills for sleeping, not benzo though. Now I sleep without them.