Insomnia Post Tinnitus Habituation — Will My Normal Sleeping Patterns Come Back?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Subtle, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Subtle
      Curious

Subtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I have had tinnitus for a little over 2 months, and I am more or less used to it. When it first started I got the usual overwhelming anxiety from it and then insomnia followed. However my anxiety over tinnitus has subsided a lot, but I just can't seem to sleep (2-3 hours of sleep a night). It is definitely not the tinnitus because I often forget about the sound when I am attempting to fall asleep.

Any reassurance my normal sleeping patterns will come back?

Thanks.

2. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I've had tinnitus since birth and I've been sleeping with earplugs for the last decade, so I hear it loud and clear every single night. (I lived in a noisy dorm during my college years and although I live on my own now, I didn't shake the earplug habit.) My sleeping patterns are just fine, thank God.

So I'm sure your sleeping patterns will also normalize. Just give it time, 2 months is very new in tinnitus-world. In fact, you're doing extraordinarily well - there are many people who take much longer (a year, two years) to adapt to the noise.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      While your anxiety has subsided, is the sound keeping you alert at night? Have you tried white noise?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Subtle
      Curious

Subtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      the sound isn't keeping me alert. when i try to sleep, i just dont fall asleep.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      Why do you sleep with earplugs? I thought sleeping in silence made tinnitus worse?

6. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      They were a necessity in my noisy college dorm room. I've now been using them for over a decade and can't shake the habit any more. :)

Earplugs don't change the volume of the tinnitus. I hear it clearer, of course, but that's just because there's no external noise that would mask it.

Also, this earplug habit has been useful in several ways.

Early warning system: When I got new tones in 2016, they were so quiet that I needed complete silence to hear them. However, I definitely noticed them at night, freaked out, found out about headphone use harming ears, discontinued it, and the noise has been stable ever since. Had I not slept in earplugs, I probably wouldn't have noticed that tone until much later, when the damage would have been a lot worse.

Habituation: At night there's no escape for me. I can't sleep without earplugs and I can't sleep with a masking noise. My brain needed to adapt to the noise in its pure, unmasked, full form. It's a bitch of a way to habituate but it worked. (Maybe it wouldn't work for more severe tinnitus; I hope I'll never ever find out.)