Instant Tinnitus Relief After a Piece of Ear Wax Peeled Away — A Case of Ear Wax Build Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack_Ch, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Jack_Ch

Jack_Ch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So my ringing started two weeks ago, a constant high pitched noise and it’s gradually got to the point external sounds appear harsh and increase my tinnitus...

I’ve been to A&E and the doctors twice, today one of those times for a follow up after a course of antibiotics and a ear spray... the ear apparently has cleared up of any redness and swelling, but the sound and harshness was still present.

Well I’m on the sofa now and I get a itch in my right ear, I carefully scratch, not going deep, and feel a piece of what I assume is wax peel away, and I felt INSTANT relief from the harshness, the ringing is still there, but the drop in harshness was VERY noticeable, I literally let out a massive gasp it dropped that quickly....

The piece is still in there, too deep for me to confidently dig in and get it, I can feel the tip of it with the end of my little finger...

Does this sound like a case of ear wax build up? No doctor has mentioned ear wax...

• Like Like x 2
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Ear wax can cause tinnitus, and it should be among the first things checked as it is easy to check and correct.

I recommend that you have your ear cleaned properly. Doctor's offices or urgent care centers will spray a solution in there but that can be damaging because the force from the spray is very strong. The best cleaning that I ever got was from an audiologist office; they used a special tool with a tiny hook/loop thing on the end to "scrape" out the wax while being careful not to touch the eardrum. (It had a tiny camera on it hooked up to a TV screen as well, so I could see what was going on in my ear... creepy.) You can also give it a try on your own. Use Debrox or hydrogen peroxide... turn your head to the side, drop a few drops in your ear, let it sit in there for a while, and then squirt warm water in with a bulb syringe and see if that helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack_Ch

Jack_Ch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, I have an audiologist appointment on Monday! The days are really dragging so far until then!

She asked me to put olive oil drops in for 5 days prior to the appointment to soften any wax if there is any.

The piece I was talking about in my post must have come out in the shower the next day or something because I can’t feel it, there’s still some ringing, or more so, sound sensitivity, but yeah, nothing like it was, in fact I’ve managed two nights of better sleep without the need for external sounds.

The sensitivity is still a little annoying, it doesn’t hurt or anything, just when I turn my TV on or watch YouTube on my phone, at any volume really, the hiss or whatever it is goes up with the sound, but I’m hoping that’s just the wax blocking sound going in, at least I’m praying for that! I’m just glad that the small piece fell out because I was on the edge of losing my mind at the sound it was causing beforehand, and crying multiple times a day and had no intention of getting them cleaned because I assumed the doctors would have seen anything when they looked in my ears. Since the piece fell out or came loose there’s been no tears, it was that much of a relief.