Interesting: Brainwaves Influence Hearing Abilities

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Aug 19, 2013.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Interesting: Our bodily functions cyclically change along with environmental rhythms, like light and dark, and this in turn governs our perceptions and our behaviour. Likewise, our hearing ability also changes.

Researchers Molly Henry and Jonas Obleser from the Max Planck Institute in Germany have discovered that our hearing depends on the exact timing of our brain’s rhythms.

Our brains, sound and behaviour are therefore connected and coupled and our brain activity consequently influences the way we listen.

For more click here http://www.hear-it.org/Brainwaves-influence-hearing-abilities

• Like Like x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Yes, very interesting. I wonder if this research could be applied to sound therapy for tinnitus sufferers. I also think the article reinforces the potential power of rTMS and tDCS. Likewise, neurofeedback also affects oscillatory patterns, and this treatment is also used for tinnitus.

Since oscillatory patterns affect hearing abilities, I wonder if they could explain why some people's tinnitus fluctuates. And, if so, then determining these oscillations might be harnessed into a treatment modality.

3. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      and.. where are the scientists at? no studies?

4. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      We're not yet at a level where we have a way of treating thalamocortical dysrythmia efficiently.

• Genius Genius x 1