Intermittent Buzzing and Distorted Hearing After Acoustic Trauma

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anne123, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Noise induced
      I'm writing here in the hope that I can find some answers and hopefully some support/shared experiences of what appears to be a rare and strange hearing condition.

It started 2 months ago at a festival when I experienced an acoustic trauma. I already had tinnitus (caused by an acoustic trauma 4 years ago) so my ears were already vulnerable. Whilst I had my ear plugs on me, they weren't in at the time of the trauma, as it was between bands. I was however caught off guard by a very sudden loud noise that came out of a nearby speaker and the results have been like nothing I have experienced or heard of before.

I left the festival with muffled hearing and full ears. A couple of days later I began hearing a very distressing squelching sound triggered by high frequencies - this included everything from my own voice and my children to the tv... it was debilitating. I took myself to see an ENT immediately who prescribed me a week of prednisone. Thankfully the high frequency hearing distortion subsided after 4 days, however I then developed a low frequency hearing distortion! This wasn't half as intrusive as the high frequency feedback, more of a low grumble, set off mostly by engines/machines (cars, planes, air con etc.) and low voices. It however stayed a lot longer and gradually developed into what I am now suffering wth - an intermittent low frequency buzz, that is strangely calmed down by the sound of engines/sounds that previously triggered the feedback! I'm finding it highly distressing, particularly at night, as unlike 'normal' tinnitus, it is louder and intermittent (imagine a buzzy morse code), so very distracting. Interestingly it goes down if I put an ear plug in or cover my ear. It is also a sound on top of my high pitch tinnitus.

I can't seem to find any information or support for this. I had a hearing text and the audiologist confirmed that I had lost some high frequency hearing, however as I could still hear speech and wouldn't need a hearing aid, she discharged me. I was in tears in the office and said I desperately needed some support and answers, however she said she had never heard of such a case and an ENT wouldn't be able to help. She sent me off with a leaflet on tinnitus.

So I am left to my own devices to figure this out and hopefully find a way of treating/preventing it from getting worse! I am taking magnesium, ginkgo biloba and vitamin d and have reduced my caffeine intake, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

I would really appreciate any advice/shared experience anyone has to offer as I am currently feeling quite lost. Thanks in advance.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Your audiologist never heard of this? This is an acoustic trauma, on top of your prior ones.

There is no other accepted drug treatment, other than the course of prednisone. The goal is to prevent further events, and give this the months it takes to heal. Load up on earplugs, and be sure to wear them for any and all loud noise exposures, and also be sure to avoid any that you can.

Is your occupation noisy?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anne123

Anne123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Noise induced
      Thanks for your response. Yes, I try to protect my ears whenever I'm in a noisy environment with ear plugs. My occupation isn't particularly noisy, though it can be a busy environment. It's been 3 months now, and I don't feel like it is healing yet, but do find it spikes and drops in intensity at times, which gives me hope that it can get improve. As I type, I have a low frequency sound playing that I find helpful when quiet.

• Like Like x 1
    4. RalphG78

RalphG78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/00
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing. This is one of the first articles I have read that perfectly describes my symptoms. Any updates with the buzzing? I find the buzzing subsides for me drastically, if not completely, in the mornings.

Hope things are going better for you and look forward to any updates you are willing to share. Thank you.

5. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      Hi all,

I also wanted to check back as I am about 20 days into the same thing.

Thanks!

Gordon