Intro with Questions About Coexisting Issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by light rain, May 8, 2017.

1. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Tinnitus started one week before Christmas 2010 with ear pain in R ear and dizziness. I was a young widow with two kids and not sure if stress and the holidays had started it. I was not able to get anything checked out by an Ent and regular doc was not concerned so I just adapted

Last Nov neighbors caused TN to really become aggravated. I tried a sound machine but it just made it worse. Certain noises were actually painful and I was having trouble hearing and even getting sick from the dizziness. An ENT said I have HF hearing loss in R ear with a notch but still in normal range. I have no exposure to loud noise on one side.

I had subsequent testing done (caloric) which showed a significant unilateral weakness in the vestibular nerve on the LEFT side. All my symptoms have been on the right. I'm not even sure now if I have ever had TN on the left at all since the right has been so loud for months. I also have a sound like Morse code or an old fashioned radio tuner in the R ear only along with the high pitch sounds.

I am scheduled for an MRI which I don't want to have. I also have had migraines with aura for years and CFS. Anyone else with TN issues like this. ( I finished vestibular therapy with mixed results.)

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did you cope with it for all these years? is it loud?
      why don't you want the mri? there's no radiation.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I really didn't have much other choice. I had two kids to take care of (one with autism). Then my mother battled cancer and I was her caregiver. She died in 2013. Add lots off stress and uncertainty. Honestly it was only Jesus that got me through and sustained me. I was able eventually to just ignore it. I did have hypersensitive hearing so in a way the TN lessoned that.

As for the MRI. I don't trust them and I don't like tests. Also the whole claustrophobia thing.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you! I will definitely look into it. I don't feel like my doctor is giving me enough info until he gets the MRI results but that won't be for awhile. I can understand that from his perspective, but to me it is frustrating trying to figure it out.

Lynn

6. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      oh my! you did get thru a lot. I think there are mri that are half open as well if u feel claustrophobic . Your strength in this is
      that was a lot to take on. amazing how you carried on. I hope you find some help here.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Scared111 -

Thank you for your kind words. We actually ended up leaving most everything behind and moving to a new state to go somewhere without so many memories attached. And there is a lot of nature where we are so it has helped hiking to clear my mind.

I am going to try a wide bore MRI - it's shorter too so I hope it will be good. Dr doesn't want an open one apparently you get a better picture with the closed. They gave me something to take to relax me but I don't like taking meds either (lol).

Lynn