Introducing Myself... :-)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication or infection (I Reckon)
      Hi everyone! :)

I'm a 25 year old male who has been suffering from Tinnitus for almost 4 weeks now. It is a high frequency constant, intense ring which is causing me immense irritation and difficulty sleeping. It is torture!

It just came on out of the blue, I was watching TV one evening, I leaned back and this ringing started.

I have been to see a consultant Audiologist who says my hearing is fine and I don't have any noticeable hearing loss. I have been to see two doctors (one rookie and my family doctor) who both think it has been caused by cutting down my prozac medication and they say it should go away. (Don't worry, I'm not under any illusion that it will stop!)

Is there any tips or advice anyone could give me to help cope or even improve my condition (supplements, lifestyle etc?)

I look forward to communicating with you all.

Andrew

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome Andrew. Members here have empathy what you are going through because we were where you are. Many had bad days during the start which can be triggered by many things. So don't worry too much how it starts. If you don't have hearing loss, you never know if you new T will fade away. I have high frequency hearing loss and so my T is ultra high pitch. Then I had severe hyperacusis too making all sound piercingly hurtful. I struggle very hard like you and I had relentless anxiety and panic attacks triggered by T & H. I thought I would never recover. But I read many many success stories showing that people do recover from severe T & H. So I felt hopeful and relax a bit and started to learn things from others. In a few years, I got better and now I have written my success stories. You can find the stories in the success story forum. In the mean time, you should try to get some masking going. You can google 'aire freshener' to download a free copy of many masking sounds on PC. You may also try some free Apps on smart phone which should have masking nature sounds. I use heavy rain, waterfall, waves, even shower and faucet sound due to my high pitch T. Take care and God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew

Andrew Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication or infection (I Reckon)
      Thank you for your message @billie48 ! I'm finding it hard to cope with because it is totally constant. But if it does improve over time for whatever reason I guess that is a good thing!

I've been looking into the research into this and as a proactive person I don't like just 'accepting' whatever situation I'm in for other areas of my life. So my mind was racing with reading the number of famous people who suffer from this condition to make people more aware and accelerate funding and focus on the research...but now I'm feeling more realistic.