Is a Local Support Group a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I'm beginning to to realize that the more we talk about and think about T the worse it may get. I've found a support group that meets locally once a month and I'm wondering if I should go. (Will we sit n a circle and say "I'm so-and-so and I have tinnitus? :)

I'm starting to habituate a bit, finding I forget about it sometimes for decent periods of time. Anybody had experience with local support group?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      I depends on what you want to get out of the support group. Habituation is an ongoing process and the more time that passes the longer those periods of time that you forget about tinnitus will be. If you want my really honest opinion I would say in your case you would probably be better off not going but you have to make up your own mind. You will probably make some new friends! I went to a support group and learnt very little.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I'm feeling that this forum is a good support group. If I have a specific question there's always somebody with a good answer. I think I'm fearful I will fall into a group of whiney needy people and that's not what I need.

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Isabella
      I'd say there's a lot of freedom in those kinds of endeavors; however, I'd say the bottom line is to ask yourself if what you are doing is helping you accept/habituate or not. I look forward to talking to my audiologist every two weeks; it has helped me deal with it better; he knows how to keep my mind on the right track about T. However, if the group just sits around and commiserates, I know that would make me crazy and irritated (let's talk about the thing we want to ignore -- ugh!). Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to try; if it doesn't work kick it to the curb.
      MHO
      Mark

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Really depends on the group. I went to what's really the only here in our area ...it was all people whining about no their insurance didn't cover stuff. I also felt like I knew as much as the group sponsors...an older couple who had been in the eyeglasses business and now were looking to sell stuff to T patients. Never went back.

It's fine to try out groups bu I it doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to try something else

6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I go to a monthly support group in San Francisco, led by a great audiologist. Only had t for 3 months, but each time after the support group meeting, my t was at its lowest. It really helped to connect live with people who were going through the same thing, and to find coping strategies together. Especially as those without t never really quite get it.

7. notquiet!
      Scared

notquiet! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music on headphones
      Geez I hope so. I think that a local support group would be better than an online support group because you would be able to hear their voices, feel their emotions, learn how they think, and cope a lot better. Being there with others who are suffering and getting and giving support would be a good idea. I think you should go to at least one meeting. Just a little support and validation goes a long way. One positive influence and one kind person can have a lasting positive effect. Please do try it out. The other members have the same condition, so I would think they would be empathetic and not do anything to aggravate the tinnitus, then they would be aggravating theirs too. All in all this is a very good question. Take care :huganimation:

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Isabella,
      I think the support group would be good for you.
      The one I run with another lady is lovely.
      We talk about tinnitus things and other things too and have a laugh.
      We do relaxation and group talk and one to one....lots of love glynis