Is Anyone Currently Doing "Nothing" for Their Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      At the moment, I am not doing anything to manage the T. No aids, no maskers, no meds. This will probably change in the near future, but right now I am doing nothing to manage the T. Is anyone doing this approach right now or decided to 'do nothing' about the T long term? It is an interesting time for me as I am using it as a little test to see if I could live with it "as is". I will look into some managing treatments soon, but just not now.

2. nookie

nookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2006
      Hi,

I'm also doing "nonthing".. No meds, aids, maskers.. My solution: Listen to music, Do some activities, spend time outdoor. Try to get some sleep. For me sleep is my medicine. If i don't get my sleep then i can manage my T. And honostly i don't know anymore what to take, i mean what aids. I guess i have tried everything and nonthing seems to help.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I mean hearing aids. Supposedly hearing aids can suppress tinnitus in some cases.

4. Lucy

Lucy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1998
      I am not doing anything - although I am trying to cope with it, so maybe that is doing something. I have to wear hearing aids but they do not mask tinnitus for me. When my tinnitus is at its loudest I try and remember that there are times when it is quieter so I hold on to that.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm not doing anything special, well, some nights I do have nature sounds playing in the background. They soothe me, especially raining.

Plus after getting tinnitus I've started listening to music a lot, a lot more than before. I don't mind, I've always appreciated good music.

Basically I try avoid silent or too quiet conditions. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Do nothing,oh yes,it's the zen way.

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure

That is basically what I am. I don't avoid anything for T. I don't tip toe around T, do what I like, travel where I like, eat what I like, live life the way I like. No more special favor for Mr. T. He is on my ignore list. LOL.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    8. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I don't need to do something about it anymore. When i need calm i can even put earmuffs. It is still very noisy but i care little. I sleep like a baby.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Same for me. My life was severely impacted by my incredibly loud screaming incessant tinnitus. But no longer. My tinnitus has not changed at all. I have changed, but my tinnitus remains the same.

10. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      About the only thing I do is have rain sound at night. But this is more because I like it. It can't mask my T anyway. Otherwise I don't avoid anything. I do what I want. But I have never been the type to chase concerts or anything.

11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I am doing nothing, because there is nothing to be done for truly severe tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I stopped taking all supplements and the massages since they weren't helping so I'm currently doing nothing as well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Well my T is pretty low so I don't hear it often. Most every day sounds mask it. Honestly, I don't really care about it, as long as it doesn't get worse. Besides turning the music down, it hasn't really changed my life. I guess I'm very lucky with this condition.

14. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      What's worse the H or the T?

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      After I finished one year of Neuromonics in December, I considered other treatments. I thought about doing Mindfulness classes and checking out in-ear maskers. Or trying to find some kind of clinical trial that would take me, after being turned down twice.

But I decided the best thing to do, for now, is stop throwing money and attention at my tinnitus. Just living with it "as is," as you said @Emma.

I think this path has helped. I use a Sound Pillow with nature noises at night -- because I like it and always have enjoyed light noises, like a fan, when sleeping. I don't take the pillow with me when I travel, though, and do just fine. I live my life as I have before and often have days when I don't even think about my tinnitus -- although I always can hear it. It's just not a factor in my life any more -- except that I do carry ear plugs, in the event I end up somewhere very loud. But I rarely have to use them.

Now I just need to come to TT a little less. ;) Although I would miss you guys!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There's nothing to be done so I just put up with it. The alternative would be something like a gun and since I don't want to die just yet I'm living with it. But my tinnitus doesn't sound like anything anyone else here is experiencing and it makes me wonder if it's actually caused by something different. Mines so loud I can't hear people speaking to me. Sometimes I can't even think and I do weird stuff like turn off my car without first braking or putting it into park! Or stopping at green lights! Or speaking nonsense that no one but me understands. And I can't remember what I did this morning let alone yesterday! I did go a wee bit nuts in the beginning because mine comes in sporadic bursts accompanied by oscillopsia and loss of balance or sometimes full on vertigo so for many months I was on pills to keep me from vomiting. Now my stomach rarely reacts as I'm so used to it. I heard about noises to mask the tinnitus but I can't imagine anything that could mask mine. I often walk with a stick for balance. But when the tinnitus stops for five to ten minutes (and on excellent days it can stop for hours!) my head clears and I can see normally. I don't know how I live like this but I do and I can say I do it well and with humour.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Try this-http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

• Like Like x 1
    18. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Now that I'm more used to it (not habituated, just doing better with it), I've pretty much decided not to do anything, either. My thinking is that I will habituate more easily if I simply accept it as part of me. I just came back from my first overseas trip, which I was dreading after my T started in March, and I see I did just fine - I had some bad days but no serious spikes. I stopped going to Drs., stopped looking for causes or treatments. Need to save my energy for family + work. It's a relief to be able to be even at this stage, given what a wreck I was when this started. Mostly thanks to all of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Ichigo
      Supportive

Ichigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I take ginkgo biloba tablets, They still don't seem to work, though (have been taking them for about 2 months) maybe this will change in the future. For the noise, I don't mask it on purpose but I love music so it works better than any aid ^^

20. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    21. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I was content to leave things be until my tinnitus doubled a couple months back. Now I'm working to prevent it from getting worse. I was trying to prevent before, but what I was doing wasn't enough. Trying to find a cure? Not really. Maybe I can get used to this new volume and not get worse. But this new volume is louder than many of the sounds around me and I'm losing my hearing. I don't hear the birds singing outside. I don't hear the traffic noise. I don't hear my sons mumbling in their low voices. The radio sounds like it's playing two songs at once. It's annoying. I'm trying to ignore it.

Doing nothing? Kinda. Fighting for my hearing? Yes.

22. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Nearly nothing. I listen to alot more music. I wear plugs alot (to stop it worsening!) and I take magnesium and B Vits (Whether they work or not, it's a cheap placebo, and the B Vitamins help me at work). It had worked pretty well, until my recent spike. I just have to learn doing nothing over again!

23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Oh yeah. That's what the mainstream tinnitus researchers have been doing for the past forever, so apparently it's a super good technique or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    24. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      If avoiding further noise exposure the best I can is "doing nothing" then that is it. After ten years I don't know what else to do. Lipoflavin did nothing. I've tried many vitamins.

I'm going to miss a social function that I think I should attend, but can't because of the noise. I just wish friends and family knew or understood this condition better. Sometimes I feel like some folks think I use T and H as some sort of excuse not to do something that I don't want to do, vs. something I should not do.

• Agree Agree x 1