Is Dysacusis Just Hearing Distortion? Can a Sore/Irritated Neck/Jaw Cause Stapedial Myoclonus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is dysacusis just hearing distortion, or is it also known to be another form of tinnitus?

What I'm going through is essentially dysacusis, although Stapedial Myoclonus seems to be the reason why I have it. With that said,

Can a sore/irritated/possibly injured neck/jaw cause Stapedial Myoclonus?

I've taken note that on the side of my neck leading up to behind the ear, there seems to be some sort of... "not good" feeling that I have. I'm not too sure what the name of the joint/muscle would be there. The bone directly behind my right ear(the affected side) also seems to be protruding compared to my left. My TMJ (both lower portion at the jaw and side of the head) sometimes have this pain that comes randomly and causes discomfort, especially at the lower portion where there can be a stinging sensation. Add to all that, my neck(behind the ear, below the jaw) and I think even the lower portion of my jaw, have had spasms occur sometimes.

I have been taking Ginkgo Biloba and Vitamin B1/B6/B12 tablets for the past two weeks after an ENT appointment, and have been applying cold compresses the past few nights. I have also taken a few Anarex tablets at night to help relax my muscles. I think the cold compress is actually helping, as the protrusion behind my ear seems to be decreasing? At least it feels like it is when I put my finger over the bone.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Dysacusis is probably a combiniation of
      1: "tinnitus reacting"
      2: "amplification of certain frequencies"
      3: "hidden hearing loss described as muffled hearing"
      4: "eustachian tube disorders"

and maybe even conductive hearing loss, lots of things can distort hearing to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I have Number 4 and conductive hearing loss. Hopefully nothing else you mentioned.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone else have any answers?

5. Sarah101

Sarah101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      @Hariz Nonis what did the ENT say about the myoclonus? I'm still dealing with it too - thought it was getting better but not so sure anymore.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I haven't done a Stapedial Reflex test yet. What I'm going through seems to be pointing to it. Idk, mine seems to have started very randomly. How did you get it?