Is Hydrogen Peroxide Before Ear Syringing Enough?

Discussion in 'Support' started by astaff14, Mar 23, 2018.

1. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I went to the er today and had my ear syringed. I did not apply drops beforehand, but did put a hot compress to my ear several times today in attempt to soften it a little. Before the ear irrigation the doctor put hydrogen peroxide in my ear for about 20 min, then looked and said it was soft enough to irrigate. She used 3-4 squirts of water, pressure a little uncomfortable towards the end but not awful.

She then used a curette to pull out one pea-sized ball of ear wax, then two stringier pieces.
      It seemed afterward that the tinnitus is slightly louder, but I'm not entirely sure. This also only happened a couple hours ago so it could get a louder I have to assume.

I also had my other ear irrigated last week, but that one was gentler, and was with a hydrogen peroxide/water solution-no drops beforehand. Again think it may have gotten worse but I Don't know for sure, it's hard to tell.

Was also told that fluid is behind both my eardrums (ears don't drain well!!! Awesome!) which I think is likely from the peroxide and water going in ny ears. Docs said it'll drain eventually but my ears don't drain well so I imagine I'll need tubes or something eventually.

So:
      Is it likely I've given myself permanent tinnitus from the double ear syringing? Is hydrogen peroxide in the ear for about 20-25 min enough to soften beforehand?

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Why do people keep doing this? DO NOT GET EARS SYRINGED. It is very dangerous. I developed huge problems because of this and my test was not even to remove wax. I wish I had never done it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dpdx unfprtunately, it was basically the only option. the doctor I saw thought it was likely that I had an ear infection behind the build up of wax & needed to see into the ear drum, plus I had spent all day in the er desperately seeking some sort of relief :( i wish I hadn't done it either honestly, as I had read up on ear syringing side effects, but it was the only option given and the doctor did tell me the wax was softened after the hydrogen peroxide. And, Wax was removed from my ear at least.
      May I ask what sorts of problems you ran into from ear syringing? What was your procedure like?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The doctor could have used manual tools to clean most of the wax out.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer I believe that experience occurred because she already had a perforated ear drum, so hopefully it won't have been as harmful for me. Also, I believe she wanted to soften/flush some of the wax out with the peroxide first before using water.
      I'm feeling very scared and worried still, as it seems I've done everything wrong here. I think the ringing has decreased somewhat in volume, but it changes in pitch and location occasionally now which I'm sure isn't good. Anyway thanks for the reply.

7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      My test was called the Caloric Test and it is used to test the vestibular system and not to remove ear wax. She inserted the water irrigator into my ear, applied water, water hit my eardrum and came back out into that plastic cup. I have gotten my earwax removed manually before at my clinic. I told my doc not to do syringe because it is veryyyy badd. Now the caloric test is like ear syringing and I have done that to test why I have been getting dizzy. It turned out it was due to high blood pressure.

Before Caloric Test I had: MILD T on Left ear (just that). I couldn't hear T unless i looked for it. No hearing loss. My T was mild two weeks after onset (sep 23), no ear fullness, no Hyperacusis, no nothing.
      Caloric Test (Jan 15)
      After Caloric Test (Jan 17)-Ear Fullness, Louder/Severe T on left ear, Moderate T on the right ear, Hyperacusis on both ears which is very bad, distorted hearing on L ear, Hearing Loss (mild) on L ear, ear popping/cracking sounds .
      And guess what I am not getting better. I was much better in October, November, and December than now.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it doesn't sound like you were hurt by hydrogen peroxide. However your doctor shouldn't have taken that risk.
      Both the fact that the volume had decreased and the fact that its pitch changes (as opposed to being relentlessly at the same level) are encouraging signs.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer certainly, I agree. I definitely won't be using hydrogen peroxide for my ears after that incident, as I don't want to risk hurting them further/worsening the tinnitus. I'm glad those seem like encouraging signs-hopefully I'll be able to return to a low baseline. Thanks for the reply.

• Like Like x 1