Is Is Tinnitus? Most of the Day I Can't Hear It — Only When There's No Other External Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrew McNab, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Andrew McNab

Andrew McNab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!

I was was wondering if anyone could share some advice/experience.

A week ago, for no apparent reason, I started hearing a low pitched hum/vibration sound in my left ear. Since then, it has been non-stop - however I can only hear it when I am in complete silence and there are no other sounds around me. Similarly, when I speak I cannot hear it.

I saw my GP who couldn't see any problems in the ear, and she prescribed me some antibiotic drops. These haven't made any difference.

For most of the day I can't hear this sound. I don't know if it's even there. But it's when there are no other sounds, such as when I'm trying to sleep, it really kicks in and sounds increasingly loud in my ear. It's affecting my sleep and my mood.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes it's tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is definitely tinnitus. You are at that "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage that some people with loud T take one or two years to get to.

The fact that you have tinnitus means that your ears might have been compromised. My advice is for you to protect your ears for at least a year (hopefully you will get to hear silence again). You will want to stay away from even the moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a blender. If I were you, I would stay away from the loud events (e.g., concerts, movie theaters, live music, motorboats, etc.) for the rest of my life. Earplugs can provide a false sense of security.

You will find other things you might want to avoid (e.g., microsuction, etc.) at
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Why did she prescribe antibiotic drops if she didn't see any problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      People with loud T often never get to that stage, they may get to the stage where it doesn't bother them or they don't notice it, but not to where they can only hear it in quiet rooms. That's a pipe dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know a number of people on this forum whose T was loud during the first 3-6 months or so, and who then ended up with T at that quiet stage.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm curious. Who? It's not really considered chronic by most professionals until after 6 months.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @jjflyman
      I believe @Marie79 is stuck at that stage (although I am not sure how bad it was for her during her first month)

I really haven't been keeping track of names. Whenever I would read a post by someone like that, I would just make a make a mental note, without saving the post itself or the username. In the future, I will try to remember to make an actual note and when I have 5-10 people on my list, I will make a post about it.

9. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I am in my second bout with tinnitus.

The first time many years ago (acoustic trauma from lawn tractor with blown muffler) took 2 years to fade to zero.

This time (from loud concert) it has been 23 months and it has faded 90%+ and continues to slowly fade.

Both times the tinnitus was screaming loud.

The vast majority of acoustic trauma tinnitus fades within 2 years or so, but obviously the length of time and decibel level of exposure will play a big part. The 6 month "rule" from professionals means nothing for healing, it's just their way of classifying it from acute to chronic.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Source on this? I've talked with a lot of ENT's and neurotologists, some that do tinnitus research and this is the first I've heard of the vast majority 'chronic' cases fading. I'm happy for you, but consider yourself lucky. For most people it's permanent.

• Good Question Good Question x 1