Is It Common to Overthink and Then Think There Is a Sound There?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SA93, May 4, 2017.

1. SA93

SA93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Think because of my seatbelt not on and beeping loud in car
      Hi
      I just wondered is it common to over think and then think there is a sound there.

The noise first started in my left ear over a week ago and was barely noticeable unless in a silent room. It had gone on Tuesday evening. I panicked whilst in work on the following day thinking what if the noise brings it back on, I was panicking and then when I got home realised I had a different sound in my right ear/head?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Anxiety and stress can feed tinnitus so unless it's really intrusive try not focus on it.
      Even though , mild tinnitus Can still bug you and can keep you awake till you adjust to it.

Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The fact that you have had so much improvement in such little time is very encouraging. Most likely your T will keep getting less noticeable, and the time between the times you are aware of it will keep getting longer. T doesn't resolve overnight. It is a gradual process.

Once your T is gone, make sure to protect your ears...

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SA93

SA93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill @Bill Bauer

Am I correct in thinking that you got your T through a noise trauma?

I started to think about how I got it and I really do think it was from the alarm going off in my car because I didn't have my seatbelt on, I was super tired that day and remember think gosh that was loud and then T started an hour after.

I had my 2nd appt at GP today who is referring me to ENT. I have been able to cope with my left ear but my right ear is rather annoying at times.

Some days aren't bad but some days seem to be

SA

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes.

By the way, according to my ENT, "acoustic trauma" (my case) refers to T due to a one-time exposure to a loud noise. "Noise-induced T" refers to T due to being exposed to noise over a long period of time.

Was it louder than a person talking in a loud voice? I can't imagine it being as loud as a person shouting, or am I wrong? If it wasn't as loud as a person shouting, then I can't imagine something like that causing T.
      This is my case too. Are you noticing any improvement (i.e., bad days are not as loud as before, or fewer bad days)? Is your sound changing (i.e., going from a ring to a hiss) in any way?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SA93

SA93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My car noise gets louder the longer it goes on and yes gets very loud.

I had one day that it wasn't there a week ago and then the following day, where I thought I best make sure I protect my ear, I panicked whilst in work and put a ear plug in that ear for a good few hours. Once I came home I noticed a different sound in my right ear which has been much more annoying. Last night I had peaks of what I say was silence but then my right ear would start again.

My left ear started as a beep but had changed I can't really make out exactly what it is now but it flutters and my right one is a beeping sound. There have been some days that Iv got home from work and in the silence heard a rush of static like noise in my head (the type of noise you get when you yawn but lasts longer).

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are getting T-free days less than a month after the onset of your T, I would say that you have nothing to worry about. It might still end up feeling like a torturous and long process, with multiple setbacks (where you never know whether the spike is permanent or just temporary) along the way.

• Agree Agree x 1