Is It "Normal" to Have Ear Pain/Pressure with Tinnitus Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carolinet617, Jul 9, 2019.

1. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      Hi there!

I have tinnitus caused (most likely) by a past medication. It fluctuates week to week between being quiet enough that I can mostly ignore it and so loud that it completely interferes with my life and I lose sleep and have suicidal thoughts.

When the tinnitus is bad, it is almost always accompanied by pain and pressure in the ears as well. I am currently waiting to get tested for Meniere's as I have a history of dizziness and vertigo, but my main question is: if I DON'T have Meniere's, is tinnitus with pain/pressure a common thing? I don't think I have hyperacusis (though I may be misunderstanding it since I'm new to this!) because it isn't triggered by noise and I don't feel sensitive to noise, it's just constantly there. Also, my hearing is normal. I just wasn't sure if there were people out there with tinnitus that consistently is paired with pain & pressure without an underlying illness behind it.

Thank you!
      Caroline

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Caroline,

Personally I don't have ear pain/pressure but there are quite a few threads of other members talking about it on here. In the main menu, search ear pain and you will see there a few to take a look at.

It seems to be a normal thing that comes with the tinnitus. As for hyperacusis, that's more if sounds cause pain or if they sound louder than they should. If the tinnitus is getting in response to sounds, that is called reactive tinnitus.

Since you are new, you should check out the treatments thread. We have quite a few things to look forward to. Lately, Neuromod Lenire has been the talk of the town. The first patients are getting their treatment devices within two weeks from now.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply! Yeah, most of the ear pain stories I've seen tend to be associated with hyperacusis but I'll browse around some more! I know everyone's different. I managed to schedule testing for Meniere's within the month so at least I'll have that answer one way or another.

I remember hearing about Lenire, that's really exciting news!

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I had ear pain and fullness from acoustic injury. The word Hyperacusis is not just one problem, it's a loose term to describe several unclassified poorly understood hearing problems. Different problems all get merged together under the word hyperacusis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, it seems the more I look into everything the more I realize how little I really know about all this.

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes, but not constant pain. I just get shooting pains every now and then if my ears have got over tired. Maybe happens 3 or 4 times a day for me. I have T, H and a constant fullness/ pressure sensation.

• Helpful Helpful x 1