Is It Possible for Tinnitus Associated with Hearing Loss to Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Staceyyy, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      I have low frequency hearing loss and tinnitus due to an acoustic trauma. Is it possible for tinnitus associated with hearing loss to go away? Or is it possible to habituate?

It's been about 4 months now and I haven't noticed any changes. It seems like tinnitus only goes away/habituates for people who don't have hearing loss.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Science is suggesting all tinnitus is either caused by hearing loss or problems in the neck/jaw that are somehow modulating the auditory brain, or direct damage to the auditory brain itself.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/
      https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/cervical tinnitus.html

Yes I have heard people here who have tinnitus due to hearing loss and tinnitus fades overtime or even completely abolish, still don't know why other then hearing recovering to an extent naturally, but that wouldn't explain cases where tinnitus abolishes.

But like someone on this forum Michael Leigh said, Tinnitus can go away and come back due to our hearing still being compromised.

ie someone's tinnitus fades in the course of months they use headphones and it comes back due to hearing damage still being present.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/studies-confirm-tinnitus-improves-over-time.15863/unread

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Not all people that have hearing loss, have tinnitus or vice versa. Tinnitus can come into our lives because of hearing loss. When we cannot hear good anymore, then the brain can do things to compensate for the loss of hearing. I have profound and ugly hearing loss and I have habituated just fine. habituation has nothing to do with how loud or mild tinnitus is. Yes, what I said could spark some debates, but my tinnitus is plain 'ol ugly and loud and I live my life and I am not bothered by it.

habituation - not being affected or bothered(to the point where we cannot live our lives) by the stimuli (noise/tinnitus) - I am about 95% habituated. Tinnitus does not stop me from living my life and being productive.

Habituation takes time, for it to happen. It all depends on the mindset of the person and their willpower to accept the tinnitus/not fight it and simply move forward....

When I got tinnitus in my teens, it was very low and I could barely hear it. I was not able to habituate because of my youth and the constant fighting. Now, it's pure horror and loud and I careless about the noise. It comes down to mindset, willpower and discipline....

• Like Like x 3