Is it possible to have tinnitus a long time without any changes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ampumpkin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I was wondering. I'm 31 years old, I was 25 when my T first started. I have a longggg road ahead of me and I am scared that I may end up at 60 years old with a jet noise in my head by the time I'm 60 :(

I've heard of T's of 100 decibels...It's scary ...

So anybody knows if it's possible to have no change in the loudness of the T throughout a lifetime?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      My dads had t since before I was born. I'm 24 now and his has never gotten worse.

• Like Like x 1
    3. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh shit I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got T when I was 21 back in 1990, It was the same volume for 24 years up until 2 months ago I had a bad experience with ear wax removal using suction and the volume has now increased probably by about a third!

But and its a big but, my T has been steadily playing up for the last 4 to 5 months before my big spike and I have been pre diagnosed with organic depression plus I have TTS which is Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome which basically means that because of my depression and my use of ear plugs I, or my brain more so, have made my T get louder, you can read my story here....https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/long-time-sufferer.4496/

So I am probably a special case so take my advice and probably everyone's advice on this forum will be the same!
      Take earplugs with you everywhere you go and in noisy situations, anywhere you have to raise your voice for extended periods, wear them and look after your hearing and you go a long way to preventing your T from getting louder!

Rich

4. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In my opinion, yes. Over the course of 20 years my T did not get any louder than it was at onset. I even went to clubs and the occasional concert, but always with hearing protection as my T is noise induced.

But while I feel it can go unchanged for a long time, I must add I experienced a spike earlier this year. That said, the spike abated and if I had to guess I'd say it's back close to the old level. Best guess... a 1 or 2, on 1-10 scale, for 20 years, then a spike to 4-5, and now back down to a 2 or so.

Biggest concern for all of us is the loss of hearing with age and what that might do to the signal between middle/inner ear and brain.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      thanks Mike!! My T was at 1-2 for 6 years and I am having a spike at the moment, very annoying...

this morning, it seemed to be back to the old level but tonight, it's louder again :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Hi Rich, just curious, what does 'pre diagnosed with organic depression' mean?

7. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sorry should have described it better than that.

Been diagnosed by physio and then my doctor said it sounded like I have got it but was seeing him for a completely different problem so it has not been entered in my file.(well I don't think it did unless he did it on the sly!)
      It was just an "oh and by the way" type of conversation.
      I have not accepted any medication for it yet.
      I am going to see if I can fight my own way out of it first, don't know if that's a silly thing to do or not but I,ll see how it goes.

Rich

8. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      It's not silly at all. I've had depression for a year and a half and have only just started taking regular meds for it because I just don't like taking medication of any kind and they can also make it more difficult to work your way through your feelings. So good luck, I hope you manage to pull yourself through it. You can always consider meds at a later time if you're really struggling.

9. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      If your thinking 20-25 years down the line when you age, don't you think better treatments or even a cure might be available by then considering the level of research going on right now. Tinnitus research now is like never before and I am sure things will be totally different 10 years from now. Besides, we can't predict how it's going to be with time. Though it has gotten worse for some, Majority of them have reported improvement over the years and even the unlucky ones don't give a shit after many years. So I think we should chill and go with the flow

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In my opinion, the "improvement" the majority of T sufferers report is what we call habituation. Most would say the noise level is unchanged.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Autifony, but as it's not even in phase II yet, we're talking nearly 10 years IF it's proven effective. There really isn't much else on the horizon. AM-101 for us longtimers? We'll see.

Since T is not inherently fatal, research into treatments/cures for cancer, heart disease and other fatal illnesses will continue to get much more funding. That said, the fact that so many US war vets are suffering will likely mean some increases in research funding over time.

All that said, I do believe future treatments will help to reduce, if not eliminate, the noise for many of us. I just tend to take a long view of potential progress give where we currently stand.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

11. Tom Soria

Tom Soria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      "I'm cautiously optimistic about Autifony, but as it's not even in phase II yet, we're talking nearly 10 years IF it's proven effective."

10 years? how so? I remember people saying that If It was proven effective it would be more like 3 or 4 years

12. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think 10 years is a very pessimistic attitude, there is a post in the Autifony thread that is more realistic and says that if it proves 100% effective against T then it could and probably would get fast tracked as it is a neurological problem and cure so apparently it would be eligible for some kind of dispensation to bypass the normal protocol of other drugs!
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ent-of-hearing-loss-and-tinnitus.1607/page-11

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I got t septeber 3013, and it was hard but somehow i got bit used to it, then may 2014 it went up for 250% when i woke up, i did not do nothing like to loud thing and so, then one and half motnhs later it went even more up, now it is a day where is barely tolarable and survivable and day i can survive.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Antidepressive... Wellbumetin (Woxra) I think.