Is It Possible to Unhabituate to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by ThomasC, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Hello Dr. Nagler,

My tinnitus started 7 years ago. I remember that it was quite loud (I was able to hear my tinnitus over television or when I was in the street) and I struggled a lot. However, 3 or 4 years later, I was able to habituate and for 3 years I was completely unaware of my tinnitus, even in quiet rooms. I was able to study and read in quiet places without noticing my tinnitus.

But last August, my tinnitus came back, the word tinnitus came to my mind and I have become aware of it again. Today I am struggling with my tinnitus.

I don't know if it is louder but it seems to be the same pitch and it is still somatic. I did not expose myself to loud noises. When my tinnitus came back I was very anxious because I had a health problem.

My question is, have you had some patients who unhabituated?

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @ThomasC. Thank you for your interesting question. I apologize for the delay in responding.

As I have come to see it, habituation is a process rather than a state. And as such there is a natural ebb and flow. Sometimes that ebb and flow sort of takes the form of a sine wave with varying amplitude and overall positive slope. It is during the valleys (which are actually to be expected!) that folks tend to get frustrated - especially in the earlier stages.

What you describe in your post above is a bit different in that either (1) you eventually arrived at a point where you had largely habituated or (2) for whatever reason your tinnitus actually resolved, as happens more often than folks realize. But either way, habituation the second time around tends to be easier and quicker than the first time. It's sort of like re-learning to ride a bike. I would estimate that roughly 15% of individuals who have habituated to their great satisfaction and relief unhabituate (to use your term) to some degree or other. And then they get back up on their bicycles and re-learn to ride!

All the best with it.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D,.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2