Is It Safe to Use Tetracycline? Or Will It Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Dec 18, 2016.

1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Hello. I'm back. I used to post here A LOT last year. But I habituated and I'm doing extremely well right now. :) Maybe I will post a success story soon. To be honest, it hurts coming in this website. TOO MANY bad memories.

Anyways, these past 3 days I've had a sore throats and it hasn't gotten any better. Today I woke up even worse. It hurts to cough. My mom have me these pills to take and I looked them of course because I know medicine can cause tinnitus. The pills she have me are tetracycline. I took one this morning.

But I have been kind of nervous that it will permanently spike up my tinnitus. Will it? Will it be safe to take them twice a day for a few days to get rid this sore throat? It may be strep throat. Not sure.

2. Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I used to take tetrycyclin for 2 years due to acne (a form of antibiotic) and after I got tinnitus, I found out that they were ototoxic. But they did not start my tinnitus. However, since you already have tinnitus, its best not to cause they might make it worse. Also when did you notice improvement with the ringing????? Im my 5th month and its gotten a bit better LOL. Cause I remember I asked you about it before.

Also do you still use earphones/headphones for gaming? Man i really miss using them.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Karam I thought you would have learned that headphones are not good to use if you have tinnitus. I know some people use headphones with tinnitus but Idon't recommend it. You know what it's like to have severe tinnitus; why would you risk making it worse is beyond me...

• Like Like x 1
    4. Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh yes don't get me wrong, I have learned. That is why I have not used them for around 3 months or more due to the helpful information of people including you. Also my tinnitus is not servere, it is mild, im very cautious with sounds now.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Karam Good to hear that your tinnitus is low try to keep it that way.
      Best of luck
      Michael

6. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey @CarloZ

Glad you're doing good!

I just wanted to say that a Success story would be very much appriciated ;)

Take care!