Is Jogging or High Impact Exercise Damaging Our Hearing? Please Read...

Discussion in 'Support' started by jss, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Inner Ear May Take Beating From High-Impact Aerobics

"You might be surprised to learn that certain exercises can cause or worsen tinnitus. Through a research study, Dr. Michael I. Weintraub of the New York Medical College discovered that there may be an association between high-impact aerobics and hearing dysfunctions. The jarring of the head that occurs in high-impact aerobics causes the otoconia, calcium crystals in our ears, to be jarred out of their normal places, causing inner ear problems. If you have tinnitus, you should avoid any exercises that involve jarring movements and a lot of jumping. High-impact aerobics, running, basketball, football, soccer and volleyball should be done in moderation, if at all."

High impact exercise may cause infrasound. Infrasound may cause tinnitus or make existing tinnitus worse. Infrasound occurs when the cochlea is shaken repeatedly for long durations. Normally, ears detect a noise vibration and the brain interprets the vibration as sound. However, with infrasound there is no noise stimuli. It is the fluid in the cochlea being moved back and forth due to being shaken repeatedly.

I guess Some medical providers do not know about the infrasound phenomenon and so they generally recommend cardiovascular workouts for tinnitus patients.

here are some links

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/06/us/inner-ear-may-take-beating-from-high-impact-aerobics.html
      http://tinnitus123.blogspot.com/2012/09/tinnitus-pilates.html

2. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      October 2013 I took up Parkour. December 2013 I added barefoot running.

On the other hand, I don't have dizziness, my fullness went away, and my hearing loss is mostly low frequency.

It's useless to speculate on causes, but I will definitely keep my workouts low impact.

3. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      hi!

I ran half a marathon last Sunday and I was alright... I think it is possible but would probably be super rare...

run if you want to!!

4. AnnaW
      Vegged out

AnnaW Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      i wonder if electric toothbrushes also have same effect?
      ive got to admit jogging is a real life saver for me i would hate to give that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      I play a lot of basketball and it actually makes my Tinnitus a whole lot better, plus it relieves my stress

6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Anything is possible, but I doubt it. That first article is from 1994 and the following link seems to be someones personal blog account.

If high impact exercise was significantly detrimental to hearing health, I think it would've become a more apparent issue in the sporting community by now, but I certainly haven't read or heard much about hearing loss as a result of high impact sports. I sometimes wonder if fighters competing in MMA or boxing suffer hearing injuries as a result of getting hit in the head constantly but that I've never come across any reports on that either.

I've run A LOT since getting tinnitus. I've competed in multiple half marathons, trail runs and other endurance events like tough mudder and haven't had any problems with my tinnitus or hearing worsening at all. Exercise has been the one thing that's actually helped me to cope with my hearing issues.

Having said that though, I guess everyone is different and will have to decide for themselves. However, I really don't think running a few times a few or regularly partaking in sports like basketball or soccer is going to be detrimental to most peoples hearing.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      I hope your right in your thinking. I know Its proven that any kind of neck or head trauma could cause tinnitus. Im sure boxers suffer from it but I don't hear any prominent ones talking about it. You would think that pro football players would eventually develop tinnitus as well. Once again even if they have it its rarely talked about.

Problem is once you have tinnitus (noise-induced) your hearing system is already compromised. Therefore I wouldn't do anything which would increase the possibility of my otoliths jarring the delicate cilia hairs. Michael I. Weintraub was the the first Neurologist to study this back in 1994 but I am still researching if there is any follow up to his theory. His work is highly respected so I guess their must be some kind of truth to it....but then again I don't see any follow ups to his study.

As far as the the infrasound phenomenon that does make total sense. Ill try to ask the guy who writes the blog(which is fascinating by the way) where he came up with the info.