Is Magnesium Citrate Neurotoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa88, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thank you for looking into that.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I think the citrate from citric acid is also in question though. So many conflicting reports out there.

3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your right, it is tricky trying to understand what effects ingredients in supplements might or might not have? I just put into google 'what is citric acid made from?' and one was corn....but the other was black mold!...nice eh? :sick: Far from being a pure source citric acid from lemons and limes! :wideyed: But still if I'm going to worry about citric acid then I'll have to avoid most processed foods as well because its added into most of these foods.

There is always the option of using a different type of magnesium such as magnesium glycinate? Since I've still got a full bottle of magnesium citrate left i might as well use it!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Just to clarify. As I have been reading, citrate whether from corn or citrus, can cause neuron excitability/glutamate levels to rise etc. But so many conflicting reports, don't know what to believe. I mean, where do you draw the line. Found citric acid as one of my bubble bath ingredients the other day :)

5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, there is so much conflicting info out there its enough to give you headache! But I try not to sweat the small stuff since I've had some good sleep effects on the magnesium citrate, of course for peace of mind use a different type of magnesium?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Magnesium gluconate would be worth trying. It's supposed to be good on the bioavailability scale... but I'm not sure if it would have the same effects of magnesium citrate per se. Because different forms of magnesium may provide the body magnesium, but they often have a "side-effect". And I believe this side-effect is often what determines what form of magnesium is used. For example, it's pretty common that milk of magnesia, aka magnesium hydroxide, is used for upset stomach. Obviously magnesium hydroxide provides the body with magnesium like any other form of magnesium, but in this form it has side-effects that magnesium citrate does not have. So I said all that to say that just because another form of magnesium may be bioavailable, perhaps even more so than magnesium citrate, that does not mean they will have exactly the same effects.

But here's my take on this whole thing as a whole: if you've taken magnesium citrate and have only had beneficial effects, why not keep taking it? Why be afraid of it? Many people take and continue to take over-the-counter and prescription meds with much worse side effects than magnesium citrate has!

Also, if we're now afraid of citrate from citric acid, will you avoid any food that has citric acid in it, including citrus fruits?

I don't see any reason to be afraid to take magnesium citrate if you've had good effects from it. Also, if you're willing to drink a can of soda pop (many of them happen to have citric acid in it), or eat an orange, or what not, then why be afraid of magnesium citrate?

Those are my thoughts. This kind of goes back to what I said earlier about a double standard with supplements. Many people wouldn't hesitate to take Tylenol for a headache, but Tylenol damages the kidneys (I believe). But magnesium citrate may have some undesired effects, so now people are afraid of taking it... see what I mean?

7. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @MattK i get the different forms having different uses, citrate i believe is good for keeping you regular...lol...I think the best form of magnesium is ones that are bound to an amino acid such as glycinate, being chelated magnesium its more expensive then other types.

Like you said, if your worried about citric acid then just stopping supplements won't solve the problem,citric acid is in most tinned/processed foods, canned drinks etc. I'm not going to sweat the small stuff anymore I'm just going to keep using mag citrate. :)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have heard glycinate, taurate and chloride are the most absorbable and safest forms of magnesium. Yes, it's a difficult one. Funny enough, oranges do provoke my t. We are all different. The actual mechanism of action of citrate/corn/citric acid concerns me - i.e. increasing overfiring, raising glutamate - all in the long term seems to "in theory" enable the t to cycle.

9. drsh

drsh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I agree with dBoy's assessment that saying #DontTakeSupplements is as bad as the extreme view of taking supplements as the magic pill or cure all.
      I'll speak as an individual with post-thyroid cancer hypoparathyroidism and hypothyroidism. I have absorption issues, and so many of my symptoms diminish with vitamins /mineral supplements when taken adjunct with my prescription medications, a healthy diet and exercise.
      Likewise for my spouse who was diagnosed with Krohn's after years of "CFS/FM" symptomology and sequelae that developed as a result of chronic malabsorption of nutrients from food. For him, skipping on his time-release B100 or certain other supplements is not just a placebo effect (we know, because we pulled these back for a year when starting with a clean slate, ran blood tests, and relied not only on how he felt, but also on blood results.)
      That being said, no mineral/vitamin can provide the natural mechanisms of food breakdown that this wonderful scientific piece of equipment that is the human body produces. And compound that with fillers, manufacturing and operational efficiency by-products, OTC vitamins/minerals are not always good for us.
      But, sometimes, these are necessary - ask my hubby who can't even bend down some days without his supplement, or ask me whose mood symptoms spiral when I've skipped my Magnesium.