Is Magnesium Making Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Skydra, Jan 4, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Skydra

Skydra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I started taking magnesium (AKA known as Natural Calm) back in October. Since then I had worsening T. I don't know if it's due to indoor allergies, worsening of TMJ disorder (I'm a sleep clencher.), response to natural calm, or all of the above.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jesse Pinkman

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well, you never know with T. Its so random. But from what Ive heard magnesium is supoused to have the oposite effect...
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Magnesium is generally considered neuroprotective. But if you think it's causing your tinnitus to get louder, then stop it for a month or even permanently. I would not continue taking anything that I thought might be worsening my noise.

Here is a link for magnesium, uses and side effects:

And here is a good thread on it from the forum:

There are other threads also on Tinnitus Talk. Just type "magnesium" into the search box, located in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Paromita

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      I think CALM contains MSG, not good for T I a bit of research...
    5. Zorro!

Zorro! Member

Ah, no, Natural Calm does not contain MSG. Natural Calm in simply magnesium citrate (via citric acid and magnesium chloride). Any claim to the contrary is simply a regurgitated Internet myth. A little research would reveal that. ;)

Magnesium is a great supplement that comes in many forms. Some of those forms don't agree with people, which has nothing to do with MSG (or "hidden MSG" or "free glutamates" :rolleyes:). The beauty of magnesium is that a person can usually find a form of it that agrees with them. There's citrate, glycinate, oxide, taurate, malate, orotate, chloride, etc. etc. In fact there are probably more forms of magnesium available to the consumer than any other supplement on the store shelf. Suffice to say MSG shouldn't be found in any of these forms of magnesium.
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. hartje5

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I've found magnesium to give me a spike too. If I take it, the next day my T. is worse.
    7. Qw2

Qw2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calm magnesium?
      Yes! Thanks Skydra for the question regarding Calm Magnesium and Tinnitus. I started taking Calm which was fine but then added a spray on magnesium and now I have a foghorn in my ear that is relentless.