Is Magnesium Making Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Skydra, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Skydra

Skydra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21/2014
      I started taking magnesium (AKA known as Natural Calm) back in October. Since then I had worsening T. I don't know if it's due to indoor allergies, worsening of TMJ disorder (I'm a sleep clencher.), response to natural calm, or all of the above.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Well, you never know with T. Its so random. But from what Ive heard magnesium is supoused to have the oposite effect...

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Magnesium is generally considered neuroprotective. But if you think it's causing your tinnitus to get louder, then stop it for a month or even permanently. I would not continue taking anything that I thought might be worsening my noise.

Here is a link for magnesium, uses and side effects:

And here is a good thread on it from the forum:

There are other threads also on Tinnitus Talk. Just type "magnesium" into the search box, located in the upper right hand corner.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      I think CALM contains MSG, not good for T I believe....do a bit of research...

5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Ah, no, Natural Calm does not contain MSG. Natural Calm in simply magnesium citrate (via citric acid and magnesium chloride). Any claim to the contrary is simply a regurgitated Internet myth. A little research would reveal that. ;)

Magnesium is a great supplement that comes in many forms. Some of those forms don't agree with people, which has nothing to do with MSG (or "hidden MSG" or "free glutamates" :rolleyes:). The beauty of magnesium is that a person can usually find a form of it that agrees with them. There's citrate, glycinate, oxide, taurate, malate, orotate, chloride, etc. etc. In fact there are probably more forms of magnesium available to the consumer than any other supplement on the store shelf. Suffice to say MSG shouldn't be found in any of these forms of magnesium.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I've found magnesium to give me a spike too. If I take it, the next day my T. is worse.

7. Qw2

Qw2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calm magnesium?
      Yes! Thanks Skydra for the question regarding Calm Magnesium and Tinnitus. I started taking Calm which was fine but then added a spray on magnesium and now I have a foghorn in my ear that is relentless.

8. gs158

gs158 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps a combination of headphone problems and supplements
      Similarly, my tinnitus started around the time I started taking this magnesium supplement to try to sleep better. Did the tinnitus eventually clear up for you? I'm tempted to start taking it again because it is supposed to calm the body down.

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've been taking magnesium for several years now. At first, I took Natural Calm, then switched to magnesium chloride tablets, which don't cause bowel problems. I also tried the spray form of magnesium, but it made my skin prickle, so I decided not to keep using it.

I currently use magnesium glycinate, which really agrees with me. It doesn't cause any bowel problems, and is calming.

I think it's a good idea to try different types of magnesium until you find one that is agreeable for you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      What about the salt content in magnesium? I hear a lot of talk about avoiding or reducing salt in diet as it is not good for T, Does Magnesium have alot of salt? sure taste like it, anyone want to chime in on this? Good Luck everyone!

11. Ben In SD
      Balanced

Ben In SD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Natural Hearing Loss
      Everyone is different, but I started taking Magnesium and noticed a considerable spike in my tinnitus at night.

• Useful Useful x 2
    12. Crath

Crath Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      deaf, depression
      For a year I took Magnesium CALM with boiling water, no problem with it. I still have tinnitus (booming since 1997). This year I joined Magnesium Truth FB. The moderator said that Mag Glycinate is good one, must be in capsule pill. Tablet has many fillers in it and its no good.
      At first I bought Solray brand 100mg per capsule, took two before bed. I slept thru the night. I increased to 4 capsule, started to have bowel problem but not too bad. At the end of the month, I ran out of that brand and ordered Dr Natural brand which is cheaper and little smaller than the Solray capsule. Took one cap (245mg), didn't sleep thru the night and my Tinnitus started to grind noise. A week later I added more, taking two caps. Boy I couldn't sleep thru the night and my tinnitus got worst loud grinding and worst bowel. For 13 days!!! It was horrible!
      I decided to get L-Trypotphan to sleep thru the night. That didn't help. I stopped taking glycinate and take only Trypotphan. Slept thru it but woke up with horrible headache. That really sucks.
      I just wondered why Solray is better than Dr Natural brand. Solray has Mg Sterate in it. I just wish the tinnitus go away at bedtime!

13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I can't take any form of magnesium, it's spike's up my spike.

• Like Like x 1
    14. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Beware of Magnesium Citrate and even any form of magnesium. Beware of the medicine you take also.

15. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I take the spike was temporary, right?

16. RichieTheKid
      Question it

RichieTheKid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many Different things
      If you notice you feel weak from taking Magnesium and extra awful tinnitus etc, you may want to check for Myasthenia gravis, as Magnesium can worsen that significantly.

17. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      I've read somewhere that Magnesium is best absorbed through your skin. Or maybe is it different with Magnesium as a possible tinnitus relief and it needs to be taken orally...

I haven't tried either myself but I wonder if you or anybody around here have and could share their experiences (benefits / side effects / ...).

18. RichieTheKid
      Question it

RichieTheKid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many Different things
      Yes, my tinnitus neither improved nor worsened from Magnesium, and using a spray for the skin is more potent than a tablet for me, I know because when I spray it on my skin it relaxes me heavily.

19. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering whether or not to give it a try.