Is My Tinnitus Becoming Meniere's Disease?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BellV, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BellV

BellV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I developed tinnitus in my left year 4 years ago. Following an MRI and an exam from an ENT they concluded that probably from wear and tear on that ear it caused it. I had a bad case of swimmers ear earlier that year and that ear tended to seem full for a few years before all this as well. On a positive note, after the normal fear and stress associated with developing tinnitus, I have gotten used to it and don't hear it for the majority ion the day.

About 6 weeks ago I started to get eye strain, a sore neck and a migraine type of feeling in my head. I had those daily symptoms for a month, but now it seems to be developing into a vertigo or light headedness feeling that I have for about 40% of each day without a headache. It could be anytime during the day when it occurs. My hearing seems unaffected.

Is it possible that this is Meniere's developing? My doctor seems to think it could be migraine related, but while I have had occasional migraines over the years, nothing that was recurring like this and never have I had this lightheadedness that won't go away.

Any insight appreciated.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @BellV
      Probably a low possibility.

It could be low blood sugar. If so eating small meals and drinking some water often during the day may help. Bell, you mentioned light headedness back in 16.

This could also could associate to any of many things. Common would be hypertension stress with possible awkward neck movements at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BellV

BellV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My high-pitched tinnitus started in my left ear in 2016. I am 61 years old. After MRIs and a trip to the ENT doctor it was concluded that it was probably from wear and tear on that ear. I had a very bad case of swimmer's ear in that ear that lasted a couple weeks a year before the tinnitus started. I habituated to it after about 3 months and while not pleasant, I have been able to live with it.

Last week I had a migraine headache (I get them a couple times a year) and that afternoon I walked into a cold air conditioned room and my tinnitus spiked very loud to a multi-high pitched tone. My ear felt completely plugged like underwater, and I had a marked loss of hearing in that ear. I did not have vertigo. After about 30 minutes it subsided and my hearing was fully restored. My tinnitus has been more noticeable for the past week.

I am concerned that this could be developing Ménière's disease but am hopeful that it was just a fluke and that high tone tinnitus and no vertigo point away from Meniere's but I am still concerned. Thoughts?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BellV

BellV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had eaten poorly and had been doing strenuous work in the previous days so that could indeed be a factor.