Is Oxycodone/Acetaminophen Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric Fridley, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Eric Fridley

Eric Fridley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Been taking it for my headaches that I get from my wisdom teeth and jaw I wake up almost everyday with a headache and this is all I have to take for it

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im on oxycodone/ace right now for pain with some other stuff.. I take it here and there and it always seems the day after i take it my Ts soo calm but then again it could just be in my head.. But i dont know if its ototoxic..If it is i feel like you would have to take ALOT of it... Like asprin or tylenol or any of that to get T from it.--- im on 5/325 which is a low dose..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric Fridley

Eric Fridley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for the answer yea I tKe it causes it relaxes me And decreases my T do u know a good sleeping pill to take so I can fall asleep cause I toss and turn all night cause my T get bad at night but in the morning it's like 4/10 but at night it's 8/10 just hoping I can cure this once I get my mouth done

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      im hopeful your T will resolve once you get your teeth done.. For the meantime if the oxycodine relaxs you, you could always go to your doc and get on klonopin which is like a muscle relaxer/calmer.. Similar to the oxy but mainly perscribed for anxiety/sleep issues. Im on that for anxiety and helps with sleep.. Also helps my T. Can be addictive like the oxys tho so talk to your doc and see what they say.. Sleeps the #1 key so if you need help theres things out there to help for the meantime.

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric Fridley

Eric Fridley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks grace you really make me happy with your positive posts and if it doesn't clear up then I'll go to a ent and see whT they say and I'll tell them about that what about Xanax I heard that was good for people and it decreased there tinnitus 75% is this true?

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your welcome!!! But im not
      Sure about 75% but xanax and klonopin are real similar except klonopin has longer lasting effects which is good cause it lasts the whole day and you wouldnt have to keep takin them every so hours like xanax.. But both do the trick.. You just gotta take as perscribed talk it over with your doc bout which one would be best. I reccomend klonopin though. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22626945/ http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=178

7. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      There are plenty of sites online that place hydrocodone in the category of being ototoxic, which it is for some folks. Placed into the same ototoxic category are many, many other meds that have nothing to do with pain management.

Most any med whose name ends with HCL can raise the level of the T that I hear significantly. The meds that are made with HCL are extended release, like Ultram, for instance, extended release tramadol.

Regarding opioid based pain relievers, keep in mind, this country has undergone huge changes in regard to prescription limitations. Scripts for hydrocodone are today being written in much lower doses in both quantity and quality -- this, to satisfy those who feel that abuses by addictive users, usually street users, far outweighed the legitimate use for relief.

Consequently, at this present time, true pain sufferers, not those who abused prescription drugs for recreational uses, but real pain sufferers -- folks who have cancer or have been hurt in car accidents -- are experiencing -- if they haven't already -- withdrawals from the previously higher doses along with constant, increased levels of pain they haven't felt for many years. Many videos have been made by amateurs as a plea for a return to hydrocodone in higher dose levels. It is heartbreaking to watch those who are deeply suffering due to these changes. So terribly have their lives been dramatically altered.

Lortabs were taken off the market, as were hydrocodone 10/500s and oxycodones, leaving painridden patients with no other options but the use of the lowest forms permitted: hydrocodone 10/325s and/or tramadol. It is a great injustice that needs remedied or we will be seeing more and more suicides as the months pass.

I've been on hydrocodones for perhaps as long as five years. My ears don't ring much more, if there is an increase at all. Other T sufferers may experience higher spikes than me that will continue until they get off the drug at fault.

8. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      oxycodone/acephethanophen is not very good for you or your hair cells. I took it after my head injury and it may or may not have influenced the start of my T.

• Like Like x 1
    9. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It definitely helps me sleep! I do not take oxy all the time but do when I want to get some extra rest. It works for me and it drives part of my Anxity down from the t's.