Is There Any Food or Diet to Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by S.withnell, Jan 4, 2015.

1. S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is there anything food wise that can make t worse?
      Like salt or sugar? If cutting them back do they have any effect or slight improvement.
      Also any vitamins and supplements that can help?

I eat a lot of salt and sugar and I always have but I'm wanting to know if I knock them out if it will help with the tinnitus, and of course it would help me anyways but just want to know has it helped any one at all here.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      You could try reducing your intake of salt sugar, and caffeine, plus aspartame (if you use it) to see if it makes any difference. If not, gradually add these things back into your diet. For me, there aren't any foods that affect my tinnitus one way or the other, but for some people salt, sugar, etc. have a powerful effect.

Supplements you could try include B vitamins, especially Vitamin B-12. Also, magnesium, zinc, melatonin (for sleep), and perhaps N-acetylcistene. I have been using niacin for the past couple of months, and I believe it has calmed my tinnitus quite a bit. For some people, gingko biloba works very well; for others, it doesn't. A supplement that works for those who have inflammation is systemic enzymes, such as Wobenzym.

Experiment (one food or supplement at a time) to see what might work for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for that advice, that's really helpful as I don't know where to start really, and I don't have much coffee only drink tea and that's in small amounts, and I try to avoid any sweetners , but sugar is my biggest downfall and salt. So I might try and cut them back and see if that helps at all .

I'll look for those vitamins too , I'm willing to try anything to just hush up my brain hiss. Haha

4. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      There is no consensus on what foods increase or decrease tinnitus. Dr Nagler says that Thai food increases his tinnitus - but he doesn't care as he has mostly habituated his T and so it isn't a problem to him. Thai food doesn't do anything for me. In fact, I have never encountered anything that increased or decreased my T.

The ATA encourages people to play seek-and-destroy with their eating habits:

http://www.ata.org/for-patients/tips
      They write

I am more than several IQ points short of being a doctor, but I wouldn't recommend anyone do this. What a miserable existence. Just put yourself on a path to habituating this thing so you won't have to worry about living like an ascetic playing process of elimination for the rest of your life. If you were habituated, it wouldn't matter if your T went up or down if you ate something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's a fair point, but some times I do think it could be something so simple like too much salt that might just make it worst. But I think I'm quiet habituted to my t now as I don't really get bothered by it, but just no harm in trying I think to see if it does or doesn't help the t, but as for meds there's not much I can do with those as I'm on meds for the rest of my life but none of them I know of have caused the t, but I can't say for sure.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Sugar is the big bad one for me. Not so much effect on the T, but one can of pop or a couple candies and my H starts up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah it could be a big cause for me as I do go thru a lot of sugar and when I dint I feel better in mood than when I have sugar so could be a good place to start I think for me , haha hard one but anything is worth a go

8. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Pineapple is very healing.

juice%202_zps997w0tns.jpg

juice%203_zpsqd2awe5c.jpg