Is There Anyone Out There Actually Doing Something to Try to Help Us?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Well I've had T for about year and a half now. Is there actually anything that's going on that I missed out there that might help us? It's scary knowing that I probably will have this the rest of my life and 30 years from now we will all be in the same situation we are in now. One can go to an ENT Dr. and there is no interest it seems in finding something that can help us. I get the feeling that nothing is being done anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Robert44,

Welcome to the site!

Unfortunately, there is no standard, universally accepted 100% definitive cure-all for tinnitus like there is for polio for example.

Back in March when I first got tinnitus, I would search the Internet like a lunatic desperately seeking a remedy and saw ads for things such as "tinnitus terminator" and "pills" that eliminate tinnitus. Unfortunately, these things are all money-making schemes designed by hucksters who are trying to make a buck off someone's troubles. Here in the USA, there is not one agent I am aware of that was green-lighted by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

I definitely believe within my lifetime (I am only 44) there will be a cure for tinnitus. Once science and technology fully map the human brain and understand how how all the neurons and sections of the brain work, it will lead to a flood of knowledge about all sorts of illnesses such as epilepsy, brain tumors, and of course tinnitus. Obviously, this is going to take a while. We have the computing power... now we just need to identify the countless components of the brain!

Currently, there is a lot of research going on in the field and various pharma companies are involved. You can Google AM-101 as an example.

In the interim, the best conclusion I have drawn is not to battle tinnitus; just give into it and eventually your nervous system will accept it (habituate). That's basically what all the ENT's say since there is nothing else they can do. Just like the old "Star Trek" saying, resistance is futile. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Before that tinnitus tells us "you will be assimilated". "You will be added to our collective".
      @Robert44 Did you check Action On Hearing Loss, Harvard, Stanford, Hearing Health foundation?
      Just to name a few.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A lot can be done for people with tinnitus but it also depends on your attitude as treatment cannot do all the work. Please click on the link below as you might find the information helpful.
      Things can get a lot better.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Like Like x 1
    5. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      Our problem related to brain and they know a few about that. So i don't think they can find cure soon.