Is This Hyperacusis or Just a Phobia for Noises After My First Encounter with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by thenetherlands, Mar 25, 2020.

1. thenetherlands

thenetherlands Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise/tmj
      Hey there,

I'm a 17 year old boy from The Netherlands. I've had tinnitus since January 1st, and I have a question about it.

It's lowered a lot in volume but it is still present, it changed from a high-pitched eeee, to a more of a stream of water (apparently hearing my own blood stream?). I also have a lot of (health) anxiety and general worry about the future and stuff. I also have metal orthodontic braces. Since my anxiety has been constant for a while now (so are my stress-levels) I feel like, regularly, when I hear a sound. sometimes it's my parents talking, sometimes it's someone clapping or closing a closet, it feels like an electrical sensation through my body, sometimes multiple time right after each other.

I'm kinda worried but because of the COVID-19 outbreak, every non-urgent medical procedure has been cancelled here in The Netherlands.

Are there any other people experiencing this? I don't know if it's hyperacusis or just a phobia for noises after my first encounter with tinnitus.

Also: I must add that my ears aren't painful when hearing sounds. I only have jolts of ear pain because of possible TMJ (from braces/stress/both).

Greetings, and I'd love to hear from you guys,
      thenetherlands

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi there, to me it does not sound like hyperacusis. Try to do activities that take your focus off tinnitus and just relax. And do not go to a hospital or clinic unless you really need it. It is not worth it because doctors wont be able to fix your tinnitus and you may catch the COVID-19.

For me painting with music on the background used to help, but other activities may help to take your focus off tinnitus. Take into account that brain processing of sound has a role here (although poorly understood).

Good luck!

3. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I am sorry you are going through this. If these noises (i.e., clapping, voices and doors closing) sound louder than normal than you may have loudness hyperacusis. If not, please try to relax and lessen the anxious thoughts the best you can. Be thankful if you are not experiencing pain or loudness with these sounds. Whatever is going on, I pray it does not last. Be Well.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thenetherlands

thenetherlands Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise/tmj
      Thank you very much for your reply!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thenetherlands

thenetherlands Member