Is This Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Believin' Steven, May 27, 2017.

1. Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged use of in ear headphones during sleep
      Every now and then I'll get ear and jaw pain, specifically in my left ear and jaw.

There is also an additional high-pitched ring only in my left ear that goes along with any type of noise and makes everything sound glassy and weird.

This happens when people talk, birds chirp, and especially when my noise machine is on.

Has anyone had this and does it get better? Because calling it annoying and depressing is an understatement.

I am wearing noise cancelling ear phones at the moment because being trapped in my own head with the constant other high pitched ring is a lot better than aggravating the even MORE reactive tone.

2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I have hyperacusis, and get the pains you describe in my ear and jaw. I believe it is related. It may also be due to Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome. I also have problems with certain sounds like running water from a tap, paper bags, cutlery etc. High pitched sounds hurt my ears. Were you exposed to loud noise at all? I have T, H and HLoss from an acoustic trauma at the ENTs office. The H is a little better, after more than a year, but the T is not.

People told me not to overprotect, so I didnt, but I think you need to be very very careful in the first 6 months or so. Even longer. I wish now I'd worn plugs more, like for any noise above 65db as I believe even moderately loud noise makes it worse :-(

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It sounds like some hearing sensitivity, maybe hyperacusis, but if people's voices sound "glassy and weird" but not harmful or incredibly amplified, then you probably dont have a severe case. With severe H many people cannot flush the toilet without earmuffs.