Is Tinnitus from Ear Canal Injury Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajith, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Hai,

I recently developed tinnitus due to injury to ear canal caused by accidentally inserting some sharp instrument into my ears by a careless doctor. It's been 1 month now.

Upon examination, my eardrum is intact and ENT told me, problem with me is a dull tympanic membrane. What does it mean? Whether it will resolve overtime ? I am very tensed and depressed.

Did anyone here get tinnitus in a similar way? Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Ajith

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nobody can tell you if your T is permanent, unfortunately.
      There is a chance that it will go away as your ear heals (which can take quite a while), but no certainty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Does injured ear canal can cause tinnitus? I heard that tinnitus is usually caused by nerve damage.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Many things can cause T. Nerve damage is only one of them. An injured ear drum can cause T. An injured canal, I'm not sure, because the canal spreads from the pinna to the ear drum, so it probably depends on where the injury is located, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Thanks for reply Greg. Hope one day I will be fine , may be weeks or months or years later.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very Best Wishes ajith - thinking of you x

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Do you mind sharing the nature of the accident?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Hai ,
      @Jazzer , @JurgenG
      Thanks for replying to my post.Iam Ajith 29 ,Physiotherapist from India. I am working in Maldives. Let me share you guys how I got tinnitus.
      On 1st october 2017, while I was on duty ,I felt itching in my left ear. My foolishness, what I done was ,used a rubber pencil to get rid of my itchiness. Unfortunately the rubber at the tip of pencil broke off n struck inside.
      I gone panic and what I done was, poured water inside my left ear to get the rubber out. But it didn't came off. Then I searched for ENT doctor in the hospital For my bad luck, he was on leave.

Just near to the physio room , there was dentist who was my friend. I asked him to check whether the rubber is still inside my ear or not.
      He told he can take it out and inserted a sharp tool of his trade, into my left ear.I felt severe pain deep inside and started to bleed. He said sorry and told me that may be rubber gone deep inside into ear . Have to wait until ENT doctor comes back.
      That night it was bleeding and I felt some weird sounds inside my left ear resembling formation of tenderness. The next day onwards i started to hear a mild ringing sound in my ears.My hearing was pefectly ok.
      After one week, When ENT came back ,he checked with otoscope and told me that there is no rubber inside and no damage happened to your eardrum and there is a mild swelling in your earcanal. He given me paracetamol and antibiotics and asked me to prevent water going inside ear.
      Again after one week, I consulted ENT. He examined once again and told not even a single scar is there on your ear drum. However when I complained him about annoying noise , he given me neurobion and cognix plus tablet containing piracetam,ginko balbaoe. I have been taking it for two weeks now.

What my present situation is, at times I feel the sound very negligible but sometimes i can hear it loud.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very best wishes ajith,
      I’m hoping for a good outcome my friend x

• Friendly Friendly x 1