Is What I Experience Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by thebold, Oct 14, 2018.

1. thebold

thebold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatic brain injuries
      Hi, I'm Jodi. I'm 43, and I've had 18 traumatic brain injuries. My most recent was in March.

I have experienced a "ringing" in both ears, which GP dismissed as stress/high BP. Reasonable, I guess. She upped the metoprolol.

I suffer narcolepsy. I fall asleep so unpredictably that I can injure myself - even fell asleep at the foot of the dentist's chair as my husband was getting a difficult extraction (he's phobic - I was supposed to be reassuring him). To keep myself safe, I sleep a lot when unsupervised.

I've noticed that both outer ears have started hurting a lot. I suspect that the extra sleep is a big factor - extra pressure and whatnot.

This morning, my right ear started making sounds like a fast snare drum. It lasted for about five minutes at a volume obscuring most other sound, but has very gradually quieted. It doesn't change with respect to position.

I guess I wanted to check in and see if you thought I was completely out of line thinking it was an ear thing.

Thanks!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes it is Tinnitus (there wasn't anyone playing a snare nearby, right? :) ) - temporary T since it went away. What's trickier is to figure out the root cause.

Good luck!

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thebold

thebold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatic brain injuries
      Thank you! You are fantastic!

Nope, no snare...just a snoring cat.:sleep::ROFL:
      Looks like it's on to the GP, the otoneuro, and the psychiatrist?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sounds like a reasonable plan.

• Like Like x 1