Is What We Do Relevant?

Discussion in 'Support' started by click, Dec 13, 2012.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I've noticed that quite a few of us seem to work in IT and I'm just wondering if it's relevant..

Are people who work long hours at a computer more prone to T?
      Is programming/software development affecting us?
      Noise of hard drive/fan/whatever - staring at a monitor?

Or maybe there aren't loads of people here in IT?

Any thoughts welcomed!

2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      When I returned to work, still raw anxiety-wise, I noticed a server machine that was making an obnoxious high pitched whine. I took the machine apart and found it was a fault fan on the graphics cards; went straight to the store and bought a new one. There's a lot of that type of noise around us.

Also, there are two sides to the coin for me. It can be quiet enough to let the sound ring (hiss), but you can also put headphones on and reach any kind of sound/music via the web/music library to mask or distract.

I love programming so it can be easy for me to get involved in what I'm doing.

I don't honestly feel my T is a product of or worsened by my job. I'm hoping Louise gets back to work soon and starts coding again.

DD

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I love it too Dez. When I started back in the eighties I couldn't believe anyone would pay me for having so much fun. I wouldn't want to do anything else.

I hope you're right - about there not being a connection between IT and T.

I really hope that Louise can start work again too - I know how hard it was when I had the high anxiety stuff for the first few months. And of course it's made worse by the fact that you're worried that you can't work. It's a vicious circle.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks for that both. Working is my main concern. I just want my normal life back. I used to love programming (and analysis, even more). I just cant do it now, cant do anything. Money running out and house in danger. That would be enough anxiety for anyone wouldnt it even without the T.

On the subject of working in IT and having T, I dont think there's a connection other than we may be a certain type of person and that type of person could be more susceptible to T. I dont think there would be any greater risk to our ears from fans etc (unless you are in a loud machine room, but then that would apply to any work). But there is such a thing as 'The Tinnitus Personality'. I havent read much about it but maybe more people with the 'T Personality' work in IT?

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think tinnitus hits many different types of people but it could also be a factor in certain types of personalities....
      Here's article on T and Type D personality Type. I kinda fit this description (not every aspect) and I also work in IT

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      "might contribute to its perceived severity."

I do think this is true... some personality types just find it tougher to live with tinnitus and accept and continue life than others.

Good study and maybe also worth pointing this out in the Knowledge Base at some point. So people who are extremely distressed by T would know that some personality types might be affected more by it and knowledge is power -> maybe (cognitive?) therapy or something would benefit these personality types.

(Although I'm not suggesting here that everybody's tinnitus is of the same caliber and that it was only emotional or personality dependent how loud/annoying one finds their tinnitus. Without a doubt there are more severe types (dB SL, pitch, type of sound...) and then there are those more regular standard tinnitus types. However, add to that more severe tinnitus personality type D, for example, and I can only imagine how hard it must be.)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I looked up the type D personality - if the description below is accurate then I'm definitely not a type D - can't remember EVER suppressing my emotions, I'm definitely optimistic and positive. Also outgoing, make friends easily and couldn't be described as inhibited!

"The type D personality

The Type D personality or the distressed personality is the type of personality characterized by both a negative attitude towards life combined with the person's preference to suppress his emotions.
      Type D personalities are pessimistic, negative and always expect the worse to happen.
      Because Type Ds are socially inhibited they don't like to share their emotions with the world and as a result they become depressed."

taken from

http://www.2knowmyself.com/distressed_personality/type_d_personality

8. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Type D, that's me. DD

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hmmm.. you don't sound negative and socially inhibited DD :p

10. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      That sounds much better Louise! :) I have more of those... but I know so many other people who also have these traits and they don't have T.

Conscientious, duteous, strong sense of dutyYES
      High-effort and diligence YES
      High demands of self YES
      High ambition YES
      Perfectionism to the point of being pedantic AT TIMES
      Compuslive and depressive DEFINITELY NOT
      Tendency to overextend, overwork, overburden, and exhaust oneself AT TIMES
      Lack of ability to relax, reduce the load of burdens, and regenerate YES
      Most patients say that they can’t “turn off,” that they think constantly, are mentally very active. YES
      Rest, relaxation, recuperation, vacations, being lazy, etc. are completely foreign to most tinnitus patients. YES
      Also, the boundaries of one’s own capacity to cope with pressure tend to be either ignored or not honored. YES

"As such, the symptoms of tiredness and exhaustion that register themselves to our bodies in the form of temporary tinnitus, dizziness, pressure in the ears, headaches and migraines get ignored. The symptoms are not understood as warning signals anymore, they are dismissed or suppressed with medications."

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yep, I must admit I have to answer YES to them all (though Im not 100% on what compulsive means in practice).

I think it means that these type of people are more predisposed to T but wont necessarily get it. I think the Type D thing was saying those types will suffer more when they have T than other types. Although you would think that's true also of this list above.

I read in a book a while ago that 'perfectionists have a tough time with T'. It made me feel sick and I didnt read anymore (Im a terrible perfectionist).

13. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Louise, I think it's a good sign that you've set your avatar. I bet you couldn't have been arsed to do that a week ago.

Click, I can be very negative and introverted. I am a typical nerd in that respect, but I'm also a show-off when I get comfortable with my surroundings.

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I wrote a ton of code today and didn't even think about my T 90% of the time. It was like masking with my brain instead of using a sound...ahhhh

• Like Like x 1
    15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I used to be able to do that Erik, with enough ambient noise in the office too. Its gone up a notch since I last worked though and I dont know how I'd cope with work now anyway. Its my dearest wish to be strong enough to work again. I just want the old me back.

DD - It was really hard to bother with the avatar last night but it was a toss up between that and going to bed to lie there listening to you know what. I dont like it anyway so will have to bother again to find something else :(

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Erik, well done by the way :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Louise, it's a great avatar. I still think it's great you did it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    18. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I work in Agri, so the constant noise of machines working probably contributed to mine. There's a couple that used to leave me rining like a bell the evening after, but I never bothered! I can answer yes to pretty much all those traits mentioned above, interestingly.