Itchy Ears During Nighttime: Could I Try Some Tinnitus Safe Eardrops to Get Relief?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hello everybody. I wanted to ask for some advice. Sometimes I wake up at night with a very itchy ear in the middle of the night. It feels like the outer ear canal, if I scratch a bit I get relief and after a few minutes it gets better and I go back to sleep. Has this happened to anyone here?

Now like probably most people on here with tinnitus I use earplugs quite often so it could be that I have some inflammation or something. My girlfriend also gets this sometimes and her ENT prescribed her some Betamethasone drops for itchy ear canals.

What would you guys do in my case? I hate going to the ENT since I rather leave my ears alone, but the itching can be quite annoying. Should I try some of the ear drops? Or has anyone got some advice?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Does this happen to nobody else?

3. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get itchy ears but not during the night. When it happens I usually use cotton buds to relieve the itch.

4. donotringatme

donotringatme Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, TMD, CI
      Earplugs can lead to infection, Q-tips can lead to irritation from cleaning the canal too much too often. Dermatitis can also cause itch, or maybe your pillows / pillowcases are to blame. An ENT can check for infection so perhaps you should visit him.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks, I wonder if it could be the pillow because it always happens at night and when I sleep with my ear on the pillow. But not always, so I have no idea. But I really hate going to the ENTs, they rarely care...