It's My 2 Year Anniversary — There Is Hope!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Jelena, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jelena
      Dreaming

Jelena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/unknown
      It's been exactly 2 years since I joined this forum and started my journey of tinnitus suffering. Oh, how things have changed since then. I remember being so scared, desperate and I thought that my life is going to end. I did not believe that there is anybody out there who would understand me and who feels like me. But then I joined here and I saw that there is a whole community of people who suffer from the same thing, and it made me feel not alone.

I wanted to write this post for all the new people who come here for some kind of help or comfort. I know how it is, it is scary and you feel like it will never get better. But it will. You will get used to it. My tinnitus came out of nowhere, I still don't know how or why I got it. I still have it, it's still the same, but my life is no longer ruled by it. If I'm honest, I don't even think about it anymore. It has become a part of me, a normal part, that I disregard it as something that just is. It has taken a lot of getting used to, but my brained has gotten so used to it, that I can even be in a quiet room, with no sounds at all and still be able to fall asleep, and I thought that I'll never be able to do that.

So I just want to let you know that there is hope, things will get better and please don't give up. I know how hard it is and how scary, but things can and will change. You have my support and If you want to talk about it, my inbox is open.

• Like Like x 9
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. alyssalee97
      Badass

alyssalee97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I needed this, thank you for sharing! <3
      How long would you say that it took you to completely habituate?

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Can I ask if/when you where ear protection now? I feel like that is a point of disagreement on TT.

4. Ma78

Ma78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I agree with this. I'm 18 months in and sleep better now than before I had T. Even though it is very quiet when my head hits the pillow and the T is nice and loud, within a few minutes I fall asleep and get a consistent and reliable seven hours of sleep a night. If I wake up in the middle of the night due to something (need to drink, the kids wake up) i can't actually hear my T at all in those moments. I believe it's because in those moments I'm too groggy to find the noise to actually listen to.

Don't get me wrong however, the first twelve months was a rollercoaster. It completely consumed me. Time does allow your mind to shift onto other priorities however.

I only wear noise protection when I am going in front of big speaker stacks, which I have done a few times since. All other times I don't wear protection. That is in a loud restaurant, public event, music at the gym, loud birds chirping etc. I don't think it's sustainable to be constantly covering your ears.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Thank you! This gives me great hope right now when i am feeling awful and scared.

May i ask.....were you able to sleep with noise before you got T? That is my great concern :/ for many years i have not been able to sleep in anything other then total silence and i rely on my benzos right now......if it werent for them i would get minimal sleep, if any and be a complete nervous wreck.

6. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Jelena how loud is your tinnitus?
      Can you hear it in the shower?
      Do you have hearing loss?
      Dom

7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      High five! I'm more or less in the same boat, T-wise. I can now sleep with no masking sounds. I used to be afraid of silence because of my T. I always needed a fan switched on, or the TV turned on at a low volume. But now, I got used to it. When T is not so loud, the brain can adapt. I can no longer hear mine in environments 65 db and above. Of course, it's a different story for super loud T. I really hope an effective treatment is in the works.

Now if only this hyperacusis thing will go away, I'll be all set! But I'm still fighting!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jelena
      Dreaming

Jelena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/unknown
      Probably a year to be completely comfortable with it and to accept it.

Honestly, I do not wear ear protection. I do not hang out at loud places anyways, but even when I do go to a concert, I don't wear any protection. I know it's kind of irresponsible, but I don't do it.

No, I always loved silence and cherished it. Then when I got TT, I honestly thought that I'll never be able to enjoy sleep and quiet time. But trust me, it will change. It changed for me. I don't know how loud your tinnitus is, but mine was and still is loud, but I am comfortable with it now.

How loud? Well, loud enough for me to hear it in a room full of people. I don't think I can hear it in the shower, no. I do not have hearing loss.

Exactly, brain can adapt, it's miraculous.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1