It's Pretty Much Gone I Think (Success Story)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by thumbinbumb, Nov 21, 2016.

1. thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      treatment of a long term ear infection with antibiotics
      Ok so my story is long and very specific so I'll run down the whole history, as briefly as possible in bullets points, and as we get into more recent territory ill give more detail.

-I've had ear problems since childhood. ear tubes multiple times
      -I don't remember having any problem through high school and college (14-21) im now 26. My left ear may have lost some hearing but i never really noticed.

-when i was 22 travelling abroad I developed a smelly mucous on my left ear drum, no pain, slightly reduced hearing. I cleaned is once or twice a day with tissue or cotton swab and all was well, no problem.

-from then till now i've tried a few rounds of treatment for it but since it really didn't bother me when they didn't work (ciprodex) and others i just lived with it.

RECENT july 2016

-i decided to try again full treatment with ciprodex drops and cephuroxime oral i had my wisdom toop on the left side pulled around this time too but that could mean nothing.

- i finished the round of treatment but felt like my ear was full and still infected, i had reduced hearing and ringing (600hz) which i had not had before treatment. I went to my ENT who told me i had a 15DB loss in my left ear (which i may have always had but now its noticeable) He basically told me the ringing is permanent and that i might have otosclerosis or a tumor or cholestotoma or who knows... there was not fluid or signs of infection. didn't even book any imaging.

AND THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS

at this point I'm devastated, can't be in quiet rooms (hated going to my parents house for family dinners) needed to sleep with a fan on. needed to have white noise surrounding myself all day. I didnt handle it well emotionally at all.

Thankfully i live in toronto with access to multiple opinions, I managed to dig up my childhoom ENT DR. Alma Smitheringale (she's amazing) and thankfuly happy to see her now adult patients, i did feel silly bringing my mother to see her in a rom full of 5 year olds and their parents but she insisted.

she concluded the same, no signs of infection, no fluid in ear, hearing loss was sensorineural (other doc declared it mechanical)

booked a CT scan (nothing)

i booked a third opinion who noted he saw a "neo memberane" on my ear drum and booked an MRI which i had one week ago now, I'm seeing him today to discuss the results.

oddly enough for the past 3 months on and off i HAVE HAD DISCHARGE!!! Doctors haven't seen it for some reason but I have see it, pull it out, smell it touch it, and even taste it if so inclined. lately the discharge has been more consistent (very similar to how it was for the 5 years it didn't bother me). so now, a week after my MRI my hearing is back, the feeling of fulness gone, and the ringing pretty much non existent... i almost cried, I'ev never appreciated my health so much as I do now. I'm writing this tentatively because who knows if it's really better, or im just having a good week. It doesn't matter, improvement is always good.

After 5 months, my life is back to normal. I saw a lot of numbers like 3-6 months means its chronic tinnitus etc...

I guess the point of my story is for anyone in a similar position to have some hope. I really thought it was not going to get any better... and then all of a sudden it did after 5 months.

please message me or comment with any questions. Ive learned a lot in the past few months about ototoxic drugs and anatomy (all three ENT's are very sick of me at this point)

I'm sorry if your suffering and your situation is different. the only advice I have is take stock of what you have, and keep living life like everything will be fine, because one day soon it might well be.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mri results (nothing)

Me: what could have caused all this?
      Doc: are you feeling better?
      Me:yes
      Doc: good, get out of my office.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Thanks for sharing!

Question: Did you hear a pure and constant tone or did your tinnitus have different tones and fluctuate in volume and or tone?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      it felt like maybe small fluctuations in pitch and volume when i was tired, but mostly consistent

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      update!

after 5 months, and 3 doctors telling me there was no fluid in my ear (despite the fact that there was... and i had q tips to prove it) I bought my own USB otoscope... best purchase ever $80)

i had puss in my ear... and this was AFTER my tinnitus and hearing loss got better (i had a hearing test that confirmed improvement in hearing)

so we took a cultur... I dont kno why they waited 5 months to take one (INSIST ON YOUR TREATMENT PEOPLE) because drumroll.......
      I have staph in my ear...

6. Nelli

Nelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck spasm
      Out of nowhere it just stopped? I'm so happy for you. I'm a complete wreck right now!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What caused yours?

8. cmartiin

cmartiin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible neck trauma
      It's been a couple of weeks since you posted your success story (which is great news)-how are you feeling now? IT sounds that you found the culprit (staph infection) of your tinnitus. Hoping it did not return?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i think the culprit was ciprodex. i believe I've had the staph for years. It has not returned, my doc said shes now hesitant to prescribe a new drop... offered that i might want to take an over the counter poly sporing drop.

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Are you feeling better?
      No
      Well get out anyway...just see the girls at the desk before you leave.

• Like Like x 2
    11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      You could consider garlic mullein oil

• Like Like x 1
    12. Chok

Chok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud sound or too much MSG foods
      Sorry for that i can't understand how did you successfully get rid of your T, can you describe about how did you get rid of it more detail?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thumbinbumb

thumbinbumb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I waited. Thankfully it went away on its own.

• Agree Agree x 1