IU Researchers Create the Inner Ear from Stem Cells, Opening Potential for New Treatments

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Jul 13, 2013.

1. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
    3. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      that website looks like a scam to me : lots of image bank jpgs used, no reference whatsoever, no names anywhere, completely unknown in the UK, held by an SA in the republic of seychelles ???

• Like Like x 2
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm honestly somewhat worried about some of these companies.

The clinical trials "Rosenberg Medical Group" offers are naturally for serious diseases/conditions with no real effective treatments available.
      Scammers know desperate people are easy prey.

The Seychelles thing also struck me.

Google isn't able to find much information.

They have 1 like on Facebook.

Their LinkedIn profile has been removed.

My gut feeling is this company is not what they claim to be.

If this were a real company, there would be more info on the internet (other than their own website).

And they instruct to send the payment along with booking the appointment.

They - or maybe it's a single scammer who's made a somewhat convincing website - take the money and run?

I don't know, but if anyone considers this company, please be careful and do your research before sending out any money.

• Like Like x 3
    5. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      I am afraid but @James White is correct. State of the art isotope 9001:2008 std labs in Asia....uhh....Dats the teller there. It's a scam. No references to any studies or any research whatsoever .....and the best bit they say
      Join our TI STEM CELL THERAPY
      CLINICAL EVALUATION Program

We are offering to patients an approved stem cell treatment, which we also conduct as a clinical trial series as a ‘proof-of-concept’ run to collect and re-confirm verifiable positive clinical treatment results.*

And then they want you to pay 38 k....OUCH

Beware the perils of quackery

6. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is the article :

http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/115267.html

I can't seem to find much more about it, does anyone have more information?
      J

7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Very good question James. I was watching a tv show and they showed how they create stem cells from your own skin, then reprogram them. I was waiting to see how they knew where to go, and the narrator said they take bone protein, and the protein changed to tell them where to go. It was disappointing that they did not go into any more detail regarding the process.

I saw this about 3 months ago in the US on a show called "Through the Worm Hole" hosted by Morgan Freeman. I can't remember the name of the episode, it may be on "On Demand" on my Comcast cable, I'll look and see if I can find it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Stem Cell Tourism

Harvard article http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/11/the-rise-of-stem-cell-tourism/

"Internet sites offer help for people suffering from a dizzying array of serious conditions, including: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, atherosclerosis, autism, brain damage, cancer, cerebellar ataxia, cerebral palsy, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Crohn’s, diabetes, diseases of the eye, genetic disorders, Huntington’s, kidney disease, lupus, muscular sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal cord injury, spinal muscular atrophy, stroke, and Tay-Sachs disease.

There are clinics all around the world — but especially in China, India, the Caribbean, Latin America, and nations of the former Soviet Union — that will provide stem cell treatments for those long-intractable conditions. Never mind that cancer is the only disease category on that list for which there is published, scientifically valid evidence showing that stem cell therapy may help. Thousands, if not tens of thousands, of desperate people are flocking to clinics that charge tens of thousands of dollars for every unproven treatment." ...for more click on link above.

• Like Like x 3
    9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
    10. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This is the issue with the West ignoring, stalling, and/or prohibiting stem cell research. Pandora's box has been opened and many people around the world want to cash in on this new form of treatment.

11. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just stumbled on this website : https://www.stemgent.com/applications/reprogramming

It's a company that patented a virus free system for adult stem cell reprogramming, seems like their product could help a lot because as some of you may know, reprogramming using a virus like the sendai virus is long and not effecient, plus it's not always 100% safe...

and the company is held by high profile doctors from the MIT :) their website is interesting and it may be of interst for those into stem cells !

• Like Like x 2
    12. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @James White Great find!

The company's Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) is very interesting. Among the different interests represented--from academic medicine such as Harvard--is big Pharma. Specifically, Pfizer's Chief Operating Officer of Regenerative Medicine is also a member. That division, though downsized in 2011, is still active in stem cell research through their Neursentis unit. But I don't see any research into hair cell regeneration sponsored by Pfizer. With the recent advances in hair cell regeneration, however, it's hard to believe Pfizer will ignore it in the future, given their commitment to regenerative medicine.

https://www.stemgent.com/profiles/scientific_advisory_board

http://www.neusentis.com/RegenerativeMedicine.php

13. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      @James White

Any chance of mailing the company boeard and asking them if theyd be interested in finding a way out for hearing loss and tinnitus

14. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      they're just a techmed company, they don't do anything for disease reseearch

15. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
    16. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
    17. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since: